cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newby owner (three weeks) of a...

Gin_s_Fins
Guest Contributor

Newby owner (three weeks) of a 2001 260DA. Survey reported that the shower drain leaked into the cabin which I figured I would deal with over the layup. Came to the boat yesterday and the cabin floor was damp. Had not used the shower. There was a substantial rain the night before but I'm pretty certain we buttoned up tight. Any thoughts?

10 REPLIES 10

Captain_Jeff
Guest Contributor
Your side portals may not be closing tightly enough. You can adjust the tension of the seal by tightening the screws on the clasps that swing over the portal window to lock it closed. I had same problem. Give the seals a cleaning as well.

Gin_s_Fins
Guest Contributor
Thank you Captain Jeff. I will look at that tonight. I would have expected the walls, seating, etc. to be wet though, no?

While I have you, I’m struggling with the fresh water system. No gauges or breaker on the panel (as the manual states), yet I know I have the fresh water system and the heater. I don’t think there is water in the tank because none of the faucets work and filling the head isn’t bringing water in unless I hook up the dock hose to the inlet in the rear boot (2001 SR 260DA). We don’t’ intend to drink the water. Is filling it as easy of running the doc hose to the water inlet and shutting it off when the water leaks out the inlet?

Many thanks!

Captain_Jeff
Guest Contributor
When my portholes leaked, the water ran down the interior of the hull of the boat and found it's way onto the floor. That may not be your problem, but it's the easiest place to start.

The fresh water system will have a fill cap on the side of the boat (or possibly at the stern). Make sure it says "Water" on it before you add water! That will fill your tank.
The hose connection inlet only works while you have the hose connected.

When you turn your pump on using the breaker, it should build pressure then shut off. Sometimes they have a hard time priming. You can open a tap and shut it off. Once the pump primes and you have water running the pump should shut off when all taps are turned off. If the pump does not shut off, it means it is not building pressure and you could have a leak somewhere. Don't turn on your hot water tank until the system is pressurized and you have run the air out of the system. Otherwise you could burn out the heating element.

I used to have a 1998 270 DA which is a pretty similar boat.

Jeff

PS. Let me know if you get this as I'm just hitting reply and the address is pretty odd.

Gin_s_Fins
Guest Contributor
I did get it and thank you!

Wow! Would have never thought that it would have come down the interior. Good call and it will be my first check.

Jeff, I may have missed it, but I don’t remember seeing a breaker that said anything about water. I will check again tonight.

Thanks again Jeff. Us newbies need a fair amount of hand-holding. I’m grateful for your time!

Best,

[cid:[email protected]]
Don C. Grauel, CIC
President
L.E. Goldsborough & Son, Inc.
405 E Joppa Road, Suite 301
Towson, MD 21286-5468
410.377.2111 /office phone + staff text
www.goldsborough.com<>

[https://www.facebook.com/GoldsboroughInsurance] <> [http://i.imgbox.com/ZQMvAAV5.png] <> [http://i.imgbox.com/Be5kbI5M.png] <> [http://i.imgbox.com/J8YyFmaG.png] <>

Captain_Jeff
Guest Contributor
I can't really remember what my breaker panel looked like in that boat but there has to be a switch somewhere. Maybe on your dash? I think mine may have been on the dash.

Jeff

SeaMax
Guest Contributor
I had the same issue with the portals leaking in my SR410. Try putting some paper towels just below the portals and flood the outside with a hose. You should be able to determine if any leakage going on. I didn't have much luck with any adjustments on the windows so i am going to replace the gaskets.

Len_and_Rocio
Guest Contributor
Hello...having an issue like this now on my 2006 260...in the mid bilge there are two pump outs: one in the shower sump and then one on the floor of the bilge. In mine the shower float switch was bad allowing water into the mid bilge...not enough to trigger the mid bilge pump but enough the wet an edge of the floor carpet causing it to wick up into the cabin floor. Pull the under stair trash can and look fore and you will likely see a really wet piece of carpet. Check both float switches. You probably need to change the shower sump one...even if you don't use the shower I think the ac condensate goes here (my problem...didn't use the shower but had the ac on). Not a worrisome amount of water (will not sink her) but bothersome with wet floors...good luck...Salty Pause

Dock_sitter
Guest Contributor
Look on your dash. There is a button with a tank symbol and and arrow on each side of the tank. It turns on your water pump. I just found mine 2 days ago. I've had the boat since May. It's definitely a learning experience

JPS
Guest Contributor
I've had a similar problem with my 2005 SR 260 Sundancer. I've cleaned and dried the mid bilge, including the carpet wicking piece inside the stairs access . Port hatches sealed and not leaking so I was looking at redoing the cocking along the bathroom floor and door panel. I will watch your post for more suggestions.

gregk
Guest Contributor
This happened to my 2003 260. It turned out to be the drain hose on the step leading to the galley. It popped off, causing water to leak into the main galley when it rained or was washed. Try running water down the drain to see if goes overboard.