cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SEM Marine Vinyl Coat

CWW
Guest Contributor

I'm a new owner of a 2006 SeaRay 270 SLX.   I'm looking for advice regarding getting mold stains off of some of the vinyl seats.   I've tried a collection of bleach based products without much success.  Glad to try another product if you have a favorite...   But I think I'm at a point that i'm looking into other solutions.   I'd like to know if any of you have tried using the paint for vinyl seats and if so how was the application process and are you happy with the results?   Here is the one I'm looking at trying.   Thanks in advance!

SEM Marine Vinyl Coat - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TQHAYG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TQHAYG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
13 REPLIES 13

Captain_Zero
Guest Contributor
It will flake off if seats not prepared properly. And will flake off once. The seats get use

CWW
Guest Contributor
So are you saying that no matter what it is going to flake off?

SeaMax
Guest Contributor
Try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Just remember that if you allow any of the bleach based products to soak into the stitch areas and remain there without rinsing, it will cause the threads to rapidly deteriorate.

Captain_Zero
Guest Contributor
Pretty much yes. The paint is close to what we in auto repair used on old rubber painted front nose covers. I think of front bumper on 79 firebird. Was flexible to a point then would spiderweb. Same paint was also used on abs molded parts such as door panels. They would come in black then you would paint them to match. Prep. On all was a real trick and it never held up. On seats.....static display...ie not being sit on might be ok. I've always used oxycleen or Clorox bathroom cleaner and a finger nail scrub brush. Good luck

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
This particular product has a totally different chemical makeup from what you are describing Hydratherapy. This product, will provide the solution this boater is looking for. DO NOT USE BLEACH ON ANY MARINE VINYL. Buy a marine cleaner then use the vinyl coating IF thecstain is still there AFTER 4 days

Captain_Zero
Guest Contributor
Wow...I'm done...lol. only been working with all spray on paints for some 35 years...(commercial automotive repair, as well as marine finishes and interior restoration) and been using various BLEACH based products on all my non damaged non yellowed marine vinyl for some 30 years. But way to much size matters thought patterns on this blog.

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
So much if the advice given on these blogs is given without any recourse to an owner who doesn't quit understand the advice and how to apply it. In your case you have the necessary experience to use a bleach blended product without any issues. But many owners will go out and break open the bottle of Clorax and rub away. That's not the correct advice that should be given by professionals. Spend more time explaining how to fix a problem and all members will be better off from your advice. You sound like you have a lot to offer.

SeaMax
Guest Contributor
I do not have the 30 years of experience that Hydra.... has - but I can verify that I did in fact cause the threads on my leather seats to literally fall apart at a much younger age than they should have. This doesn't happen immediately, it takes some time. Perhaps there are some threads that are impervious to bleach, mine were not. I have some stains on my current boat seats that I would love to get out so perhaps a good solution will surface from this blog. The paint process is not very appealing to me as I only have a small section of one seat that has a problem. I do not want to paint the entire section and I can't picture a color match filling in a small area surrounded by the original, untouched surface. As a side note, I totally agree with Capt. Rick regarding the advise that is given in some blogs. Sometimes the advice is right on and can save someone a lot of work. But unfortunately there is some advise that if followed, will result in more problems than originally presented.

Alfie
Guest Contributor
X14 took the mold off our seats…in 15 seconds

SeaMax
Guest Contributor
X14 has a high concentration of bleach. Use at your own risk!

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
X14 is a bathroom cleaner and not recommended for any porous material. If your boat is in the sun you will see discoloration soon. NOTE TO OTHER OWNERS READING THIS: There are dozens of marine vinyl mildew cleaners available that are formulated for boat vinyl. Do not use household cleaners on marine vinyl

Captain_Tom
Guest Contributor
Best ever is Magic Eraser pad. For ~$1.00 it solves many stains on vinyl upholstery. We have 2007 SLX270 with white vinyl so use it often.

gilb2000
Guest Contributor
Please be careful with magic eraser .. most people don't realize it's actually ultra high grit wet sanding pad. My wife's messed a bunch of stuff up with one