cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2016 19 SPX Adding a Monster MTK...

busterdouglas
Guest Contributor

2016 19 SPX Adding a Monster MTK Wakeboard tower install.

Has anyone installed this MTk tower on the sides of the hull and what did you use/do to reinforce it.  I have read multiple threads and techniques which include:

1) using marine grade plywood 1/2" and using 5200 to secure it then use the supplied monster claw and backing plate.

2) using a large piece of 1/2"  (6"x12") aluminum backing plate and using Plexus or 5200 then use the supplied monster claw and backing plate

3) Pre-made 10 layers of fiber cloth (1/4") and using the then use the supplied monster claw and backing plate.

4) and finally lay up of 10 fiber cloth layers alternating weave then on final layup use the marine grade plywood then the supplied then use the supplied monster claw and backing plate which seems excessive.

I want to prevent any spider cracks and do it properly without inuring excessive costs.

Any advice would be great..

6 REPLIES 6

JimTMich
Guest Contributor
Personally I would find the factory monster tower that mounts from the top as it’s already been thought through. If I remember correctly there are some small metal plates under the nuts.

JimTMich
Guest Contributor
This is my 2028 190 spx

busterdouglas
Guest Contributor
Yikes! is that the factory installed wake tower? If it is, it must already be reinforced with extra layers of glass laid up, if not I would consider getting a 1/2" aluminum backing plate

JimTMich
Guest Contributor
I believe that’s factory although I bought the boat second hand with 26 hours on the clock. The 2 piece factory cover fits nicely around the base of the tower as well.

JimTMich
Guest Contributor
The factory Monster Tower also folds down within the windshield to facilitate garage storage. My garage door is less than 7' and it fits with the tower folded down. Watch the wakeboard rack placement if you add those. Placing it on the larger front tube hits the windshield if it's too high, but mount it lower and it blocks your view as a driver if your seat is in the upright position. I suggest mounting on the rear tube up high so it doesn't hit the windshield when folded and doesn't block your view.

JimTMich
Guest Contributor
Now that I look at it, I don't know who makes the factory tower for Sea Ray....