cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guys,  I recently bought a 2008...

PPGWingman
Guest Contributor

Guys,  I recently bought a 2008 280 DA. It is a great boat but for one thing... I have a water intrusion issue.   

The boat was previously stored on an enclosed rack.  I now have it stored on an outside rack.  Now, every time it rains I get water at the aft port corner of the mid berth.  

The previous owner made no mention of water intrusion, but on close inspection there is mildew in that corner (under the mirror cabinet) and the cushions show evidence of water stains.  Not concerned with blame, the problem is I cannot figure out how the water is getting there.  

The rest of the mid berth deck is always dry, so I am assuming the water is coming in from somewhere on the port side above the mid berth.  The little window to the cockpit is closed and shows no evidence of leaking.  The port portal is tight. Since I noticed it, I redid the caulking where the radar arch meets the hull on the port side as well as the end of the windscreen.

Has anyone had a similar experience ... and solved it?? 

3 REPLIES 3

Tom123
Guest Contributor
Look to the obvious... The foredeck rails are thru-bolted. The bedding (Chalk) under the Stanchions wears out over time.

Take a garden hose and start at the front of the foredeck and flood the area around each stanchion, while someone keeps and eye down below.

Once you find the leak, re-bed the stanchion(s)

PPGWingman
Guest Contributor
Thanks. Didn’t think of that! How do you re-bed the stanchions?

Paul

Sent from Paul's iPad. All spelling mistakes are his. Any implication that such mistakes are his iPad's fault is erroneous.
Cell: (203) 731 7438

Tom123
Guest Contributor
The stanchions are the vertical rails that are bolted to your foredeck. To keep water from running into the bolt holes you have to have chalking between the deck and the stanchion.

To rebed the stanchions you have to remove them, clean the area, rechalk and rebolt the stanchions.

There are several videos on line. Firdst use the running water to find the leak. It the stanchions are not leaking, hit the hatches, ports and glass.