cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi...I'm looking at a 2014 280...

jvsrunner
Guest Contributor

Hi...I'm looking at a 2014 280 Sundancer with a 350 mag (300hp) Bravo three. Any thoughts on if this is underpowered? Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Highslice
Guest Contributor
A single 350 mag? Yes, VERY under powered.

jvsrunner
Guest Contributor
Yes a single engine. Dry weight is listed at about 8500 pounds

TimboSlice
Guest Contributor
That depends on what the meaning of underpowered is...to my knowledge (which is limited) I am not aware that Sea Ray ever offered the 280DA with twins, which tells me that Sea Ray thinks a single is just fine. Is the boat fast? No. Will it struggle to get on plane with a lot of people on board? Yes. Will it perform just fine for you and your wife for easy cruising? Yes.

jvsrunner
Guest Contributor
There are 280DA's with twins, 4.3 I think. I agree with your assessment. I am not overly concerned with fast. 98% of the time it will just be the two of us.

Drago
Rising Contributor
I have a 290 Amberjack (Sundancers sister boat) and have 2x 383 Mag at 700ish hp and there are days I wish I had something bigger

Franky
Guest Contributor
I have a 2003 280 with twin 4.3 mpi 220 hp each, it cruises nicely at 3400 rpm wish it had twin 350 mags. Think single 350 would be considerably under powered. In 2003 the 496 was the base engine and twin 4.3 were up grades.

jafcobra24
Guest Contributor
Yes, I have a 240DA single engine and it runs great but even a 260 would be too much for a single, let alone a 280...

PPGWingman
Guest Contributor
I have. 200) 280DA with twin 5.0 Seacores pushing Bravo 3. Just enough power in them.