cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am looking to install a GPS/engine...

Sanibel_Life
Guest Contributor

I am looking to install a GPS/engine monitor/depth and fish finder for my 2006 290 SLX. The original is still in place, but has been broken since I bought it. I have seen the Vessel View 7 suggested and have friend who love the lowrance Live series. I am wondering which systems people are choosing,  how people are mounting the new systems (new faceplate, etc) and if anyone has eliminated the gauges in exhange for 1 or even 2 screens. Thanks for sharing your experiemces.

7 REPLIES 7

jlkingiii1_5374
Guest Contributor
I started with this, but some gauges were cracked and broken, the sea ray control system in bottom right was failing so I had to do something.

jlkingiii1_5374
Guest Contributor
This is what I had last summer, but the polycarbonate cracked. So I redid it this spring. I installed the vvlink, nmea 2000 starter kit and smartcraft junction box.

Sanibel_Life
Guest Contributor
Holy smokes! That looks amazing! Did you do this yourself or did someone do this for you? We basically have Marinemax here to do these things. Are you happy with it? Anything you would add/change? Does it do deptch, fish, etc?

jlkingiii1_5374
Guest Contributor
I did it all myself, I had done my fair share of body work over the years but this was first time really working with fiberglass. I'm not a perfectionist but I'm not content with the results yet even though I've changed it again. Most all the info you will need is on this forum or the Hull truth. I will track down some of the threads I learned from and send to you. You should be able to get a local stereo shop to do the fiberglass work and I would think you could do the wiring part, not that complicated. The screens handle pretty much everything, gauges, depth, fish, charts etc. I like the simrads because they have mercury software built in and work seamlessly.

jlkingiii1_5374
Guest Contributor

jlkingiii1_5374
Guest Contributor

Sanibel_Life
Guest Contributor
That looks amazing. Thanks so much for sending this. I had considered going away from the gauges for the cleaner look. I also liked the gloss black over the fake wood...and the push buttons, LED lighting. Basically I like what you did.