cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 2008 205 Sport with the...

RBJones
Guest Contributor

I have a 2008 205 Sport with the 5.0 Mercruiser and carburetor. It came with an aluminum Black Max prop size 14.5x19. The engine and prop matrix from Sea Ray lists the 14.25 x 21 as the standard prop for the boat. I presume the 14.5x19 is an all around prop. I get a top speed of about 41 mph with it. I've seen tests where the boat should do 48 mph top speed. Does anyone have experience with the 14.25x19? I only pull tubes occasionally and I am more concerned with good cruising economy and increase in top speed. Will the 14.25 x 21 do that for me? Any downside in those applications. Have you found a different prop combo that hits the sweet spot I'm looking for? Thank you for any advice.

4 REPLIES 4

DavenToni
Guest Contributor
We have an 09 205 Sport with the 14.25x21. Just got the boat but with four people in it we hit 45mph. Water was calm with only a small chop. We also weren't pulling anyone. Spent 2 hours on the water and gas gauge barely came off full. We're gonna stick with the 21 for now since we aren't pulling and it is mostly me and my wife. Hope this helps.

RBJones
Guest Contributor
DavenToni,Thanks for the input. Very helpful.RBJones

Sent from my Galaxy Tab A
-------- Original message --------From: Sea Ray Owners Club Date: 9/23/18 5:04 PM (GMT-05:00) To: [email protected] Subject: DavenToni commented on your post in the group Sport Boats (18–35 feet)

@media only screen and (max-device-width: 480px) {
html { -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%; }
table.container { width: 100% !important; }
.hidden-for-mobile { display: none !important; }
.callToAction, .callToAction td, .footer {
font-size: 12px !important;
}
.button .text { font-size: 12px !important; }
.defaultIndentation { width: 10 !important; }
.text { font-size: 12px !important; }
a.button { width: 96 !important; }
a.buttonWide { width: 118 !important; }
a.buttonAuto { padding-left:1em !important; padding-right:1em !important;}
a.button, a.buttonWide, a.buttonAuto {
height: 23 !important;
line-height: 23px !important;
border-radius: 4px !important;
-webkit-border-radius: 4px !important;
-moz-border-radius: 4px !important;
}
td.buttonWrapper {
width: 98 !important;
height: 23 !important;
}
img { display: inline !important; }
.circle { border-radius: 50%; clip-path: circle(50px at center); }
.square { border-radius: 10%; clip-path: circle(10px at center); }
}
@media only screen and (min-device-width: 600px) {
table.container { width: 600px !important; }
}
@media screen {
@font-face {
font-family: 'Salesforce Sans';
font-style: normal;
src: local('Salesforce Sans'), local('SalesforceSans'), url(https://ownersclub.searay.com/fonts/SalesforceSans/SalesforceSans-Regular.woff) format('woff');
}
}
a, a:visited { color: #015BA7; text-decoration:none; }
img { display: block; }
.preheader { display: none !important; }
table {
border-collapse: collapse;
mso-table-lspace: 0px;
mso-table-rspace: 0px;
}

We have an 09 205 Sport with the 14.25x21. Just got the boat but with four people in it we hit 45mph. Water was calm with only a small chop. We also weren't pulling anyone. Spent 2 hours on the water and gas gauge barely came off full. We're gonna stick with the 21 for now since we aren't pulling and it is mostly me and my wife. Hope this helps.  

DavenToni (Owner)

View/Comment

or reply to this email

Original post

Sport Boats (18–35 feet) — RBJones (Owner)

Sunday, September 16, 2018 12:02 PM

I have a 2008 205 Sport with the 5.0 Mercruiser and carburetor. It came with an aluminum Black Max prop size 14.5x19. The engine and prop matrix from Sea Ray lists the 14.25 x 21 as the standard prop for the boat. I presume the 14.5x19 is an all around prop. I get a top speed of about 41 mph with it. I've seen tests where the boat should do 48 mph top speed. Does anyone have experience with the 14.25x19? I only pull tubes occasionally and I am more concerned with good cruising economy and increase in top speed. Will the 14.25 x 21 do that for me? Any downside in those applications. Have you found a different prop combo that hits the sweet spot I'm looking for? Thank you for any advice.

DavenToni (Owner)

Sunday, September 23, 2018 5:04 PM

You're receiving emails when someone "Comments on my posts."

To change or turn off SROC email, log in as [email protected].

Are notifications about this post getting annoying? Reply to this email with the word " mute
".

800 South Gay Street, Suite 1200, Knoxville, TN

TRC
Guest Contributor
The previous owner may have changed the prop to a 19 to get on plane sooner. The 21 should increase top speed and may save a little on fuel but you will probably notice taking a little more to get on plane. There are lots of opinions and good information on props on various blogs if you are considering changing.

RBJones
Guest Contributor
Thanks TRC