cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a new-to-me 2008 240SD with...

Kevin7
Guest Contributor

I have a new-to-me 2008 240SD with Bravo III drive.  At around 3300 RPM I feel the drive begin to shudder (I can feel the vibration in my feet) if I begin to raise the drive out of "full down" trim.  The U-joints and gimbel are brand-new.   I was told by an experienced rider on the boat that the shuddering was probably caused by cavitation.  I get the same result if I attempt a hard turn, even with the drive in full down.  The skeg has a slight bend to the port side (about 1 inch out of alignment).  Anyone with similar experiences?  Is the bent skeg causing this?  The steering seems to track pretty straight.  Suggestions/insights? Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

tonkawood
Guest Contributor
I just sold my 2008 260SD with a Brovo III drive. I did sometimes notice this but not all the time. I would say that the skeg probably has something to do with it. Usually it was just weeds for me.

Captain_Zero
Guest Contributor
You have a gimbal bearing or bad universal joints in the drive shaft between drive hub and out drive. Not normally something FYI. For bravo 3 a transom jack is necessary. It is a very heavy drive. You would want to have it repaired before using any further. If it is gimbal bearing will once it fails will vibrate badly. But likely you have bad I joints. When they go your dead in the water

Kevin7
Guest Contributor
Thanks. I have it into the dealer now - nervously anticipating the bill...