cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A yacht broker friend told me that...

mystic
Guest Contributor

A yacht broker friend told me that Searay is discontinuing making any boats over 30 feet. Has anyone else heard about this? If so it can't be good for us sport yacht owners.

5 REPLIES 5

fwebster
Guest Contributor
This was announced several weeks ago. Sea Ray is closing the Palm Coast and Sykes Creek FL factories and withdrawing from the yacht and sport yacht market segments. The Tennessee factories will continue with their product lines. Generally this means Sea Ray is no longer producing boats over 40 ft (not 30') as you heard. Here is the 6/25/18 Brunswick news release if you care to read it:

http://ir.brunswick.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=97828&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2355803

What happens to the value of used Sea Rays is a matter of conjecture, but there has always been a strong demand for good clean well maintained Sea Ray boats. In the SE, demand is so strong that it is hard to find a nice used one. In particular, it appears that the late 90's to about 2010-12 models may even increase in value because they have the quality construction and timeless look the market has always thought Sea Ray represented..... and are, for the most part, pre-Zeus boats.

BB_LEE
Guest Contributor
I agree with fwebster….maybe being optimistic but if someone wants a 40+ Searay they will be very interested in clean, well maintained ones. If anything the use prices should plateau.
Again being optimistic 🙂

Charles_III
Guest Contributor
we have a 2006 Sundancer 40 and agree with all comments. Our only concern is the availability of spare parts and customer support over time for the 40+ ft sport yachts/yachts.

fwebster
Guest Contributor
As the owner of a 20+ year old Sea Ray, I have realized that the only parts Sea Ray makes are the molded fiberglass components. I have been able to source everything I have needed thru my local Sea Ray dealer or by researching commercially available sources in catalogs or online. I don't believe parts availability will be an issue.

As far as customer service is concerned, Sea Ray isn't going out of business, there will still be customer service personnel in Tennessee.

Sara_Fahy1
Guest Contributor
There will also be customer service teams in Florida for the duration of any warranty for any of the new boats out there. We still plan to uphold those warranties and provide customer service to those new sport yachts and yachts that are purchased.