cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 460 Sundancer and have...

Lady_Laze
Guest Contributor

I have a 460 Sundancer and have issues with getting bow thruster to work.  does anyone have the wiring diagram for the pins on the momentary switch located on the helm side wall next to the captains chair?  Replaced solenoid, batteries good, inverter appears to be working and toggle switch has power but not doing anything.  Any suggestions welcome.  I replaced this switch but no light on new one.

12 REPLIES 12

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
I had the same issue with my vetus now thruster there is a 200 amp fuse going to your batteries mine was blown which lead to another problem the motor was loose and needed to be tightened to stop the fuse from blowing
It was on wall in engine room close to batteries

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
Bow

SeaMax
Guest Contributor
LL: have you checked to see if you have 24v at the thruster motor when the control is activated? I would start there and work backward looking for power. You mentioned the batteries are good, did you load test them? If one cell in one battery is bad, you will not get 24v to the thruster and it will not work.

Lady_Laze
Guest Contributor
Thanks guys - 200 amp fuse is ok. Borrowed friends hi end battery tester and showed both fine. I have no tested voltage to motor will try that but what concerns me is switch at helm side used to light and after i replaced does not. do not know what the 10 wires do that go to it so wondering if that is the block. The thruster did work intermittantly when i first got boat so pretty sure it is good. Got new toggle from Vetus who said was comaptible with old if plug was correct which it was.

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
The switch might have a bad bulb they go bad all the time it’s under the button for power

SeaMax
Guest Contributor
As Mike said, I wouldn’t be too concerned about the switch light. The switch activates a relay and it is a reversing motor, that’s way all the wires going to the switch. You should have power to the relay on the “in” side and when you activate the switch you should have power on the “out” side., on the large wire. Your problem could also be the relay itself. This is where it gets tricky - deciding which part is not working. If you have the wiring diagram for the thruster - you can bypass the relay by jumping the hot terminals (that will be the large wires going to it). This is an advanced technique and only do it if you’re sure about what your doing.

Lady_Laze
Guest Contributor
Thanks do you know what voltage should be at switch? I know it is 12 volt system but is it less for this wire?

SeaMax
Guest Contributor
The switch is operating the relay. There will be 12v at the switch. I think your chasing your tail until you determine that you have 24v at the motor and the relay is working.

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
Here is the number to vetus trouble shoot hot line 4107120740
Or u can call bill Jennings in Connecticut 8606089094

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
24 volt system

Airwaves
Rising Contributor
@Tim Johnson how did you resolve this? Just curious to know - my Vetus stopped working in July and my electrician pulled it and took to local electric motor shop. They rebuilt it for <$1000, muchLess than the 3k for new one. Works great

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
You can buy a new motor from vetus for $1500