cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to add satellite TV to...

aliaschuck
Guest Contributor

Looking to add satellite TV to my 420 Sedan Bridge.  Anyone do it themselves?  How was the process?

11 REPLIES 11

Capt__Paul
Guest Contributor
I added a KVH M3DX on my 400DB and needed a SeaView mount. Its a straight FWD Installation. Run the wire (Single wire on M3), mount the dome. Program for the service (KVH Support is great).

Bob_440_DA_w_Ca
Guest Contributor
I have a 1994 440 Sundancer I purchased last year with a Trac Vision M1 system installed. I just removed it because I do not need it and do not plan to spend the money for a service. The system was operating fine and looks like new. I think it is about a 1998 unit. As far as install, it looks very simple. All you need going to the dome is a single coax cable and some how that drives the system. It was mounted directly to the arch with four small stainless screws with nuts on inside of arch. He had it spaced off the arch by setting it on 4 stainless 1/2 inch nuts which worked fine. I would sell my unit for a fair price. If you are interested let me know. My email is [email protected].

Riposo
Guest Contributor
You should confirm service availability before going to the expense of installing the KVH system. We have an M3 dome and service was just disconnected by DISH network due to an "upgrade". The M3 is no longer compatible with DISH and our only option is Direct TV. Direct TV won't install their receivers on boats, so we have to buy a receiver from an independent dealer, have it installed and then set up a service plan with Direct.

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
The antenna manufacturer will supply receivers for your service. You don't need to buy from a third party.

Capt__Paul
Guest Contributor
Riposo - I too have a M3 (M3DX) with Dish as my service. I received instructions from KVH that indicate the hardware is still compatible.....

Riposo
Guest Contributor
Capt. Paul
Thanks for your comment - it's encouraging. I will start again with KVH and see if I get a different answer. When our system stopped working last month (I get a "finding satellites" message that never goes away) I spoke with both a KVH service tech and the local certified KVH dealer and got the same story - in mid-March DISH "upgraded" their service and changed protocols to allow for 4K and super high def TVs and made "older" systems (mine's 2 years old) incompatible and could no longer track the KVH satellites.

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
I would contact KVH technical services direct. While your dealer says it won't work. He is in the business of selling antenna systems...just saying

Riposo
Guest Contributor
I will do that - again. Just wanted to point out that it was KVH technical services that first gave me the info that DISH was no longer compatible, not the dealer. I couldn't believe that answer so went in to see the dealer and got almost word for word the same explanation. But I'll try again with KVH - maybe something has changed in the last month.

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Even if it doesn't work on Dish, KVH should be able to provide a Direct TV receiver and activate your service. Don't give up!

Capt__Paul
Guest Contributor
It is my understanding (both from KVH and Dish) that 119W is the remaining sat that you need to connect to. The most recent changes cause the symptoms you describe (same for me). Instructions from KVH were to connect a PC (typically done through a dealer) and change frequency setting. I cannot confirm yet that it works, but sounds promising. I'll find out more this weekend.

Riposo
Guest Contributor
That sounds promising. Please post your results after you're done this weekend - if it works for you, I will do the same thing.