cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We have a 2007 52 Sedan. All the...

Jeffro_Bodine
Guest Contributor

We have a 2007 52 Sedan. All the gloss finished wood inside has to be refinished due to cloudiness in the clear coat. Has anyone had to do this and how did it turn out? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3

Slow_Ride
Guest Contributor
My understanding after looking at a ton of sea rays before I bought my 560 is that the laminate will have to be replaced. According to the factory, the cloudiness is caused by excessive humidity – typically when the boat is stored. The replacement laminate is still available through restoration marine (restorationmarine.com). There are posts on the Internet that show the replacement process. It is labor-intensive but does not appear to be too difficult.
What I can tell you with absolute certainty is that it is okay to buff/polish/protect the laminate; I do it annually on my boat and finish with a nice coat of rejex. I don’t believe it will take the cloudiness out of the laminate, but you definitely won’t hurt anything by trying. Use an orbital polisher and start with a very mild polish like shurhold buff magic. If that isn’t aggressive enough you can work your way up from there, but you’ll have to work your way back down just like you would the clearcoat on a car.
Good luck! Let us know how it turns out. I’ll be mad if it does work, because I passed up on some really nice boats because of that issue.

RJB1
Guest Contributor
I bought a new 2007 52 Sundancer. In 2010 Searay replaced the laminate because much of it became cloudy or had bubbles. In 2019 I had to do it again, that is all was removed and replaced with new laminate. A former Searay employee, Mike Lacy, did it for me.

Jeffro_Bodine
Guest Contributor
Thank you RBJ and Slow Ride. Both your comments give me some direction. I appreciate the advice.