cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2007 280 Sundancer - new transducer help

The_280
Guest Contributor

I’m looking to add a second thruhull transducer (thinking the Airmar B619) that is compatible  with my Garmin 742s chart plotter. The original transducer is linked to my smartcraft system and is flat on the bottom of hull V. It’s also leaking slightly and getting fiberglass repair shortly.  While out of the water, I want to add the new NEMA 2000 thru hull transducer as a secondary depth and contour data point linked to my Garmin. 

Any recommendations on placement? Should I go just to the starboard side of the original. Also what tilt degree? I’m seeing different thoughts on this and the thru hull options are 12 degree and 20 degree. Thoughts?

1 REPLY 1

wingless
Rising Contributor

Welcome to the forum.

The transducer has placement requirements defined in the instructions. The cable routing also has requirements defined. Follow all instructions and follow ABYC.

Seat of pants, if one transducer was placed on one side of the hull, then the opposite side is likely also good.

It is best to measure the hull slope at the proposed transducer location for selecting the correct transducer angle.

Every time I made a new below waterline hole I ensured any coring was scooped away and replaced w/ filled epoxy. I ensured the hole side walls were properly covered w/ epoxy. That is in addition to normal sealing for the installed component. (FWIW, I find the BEST usage for 5200 sealant is on someone else's boat. Use something like 4200 or an equivalent product.)