cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does anyone know where the engine...

garybly
Guest Contributor

does anyone know where the engine hatch relay is located on a 2005 sundancer 320? Mine stopped working, the fuse is not blown and of course the transom door is open. Also at the same time the bilge pump light is on all the time. Hatch pistons are new, wire diagram says the is a lockout relay?

12 REPLIES 12

wingless
Rising Contributor
On my 2000 380DA the engine compartment lift is controlled by the helm switch w/o a relay.

On my boat the over current protection for that circuit is provided by one of the push to reset circuit breakers at the helm circuit breaker panel, with a hinged drop down door, at shin level below the steering wheel.

Is there anything like that on the 320DA?

garybly
Guest Contributor
Mine is in the aft EIM which is in the bilge, there is an access to it under a seat, it is not tripped as I tried to reset it, I was looking at the wiring diagram, it shows a relay that connects to the transom door switch, it may be built into the EIM, I am not sure...

wingless
Rising Contributor
Yes, the wiring diagram shows an up switch and a down switch, plus an up relay and a down relay. IMO one up/down switch and one up/down relay would have been better.

On the switches the RED/VIO should be +12VDC power, the BLU on up should have +12VDC when pressed, the GRN on down should have +12VDC when pressed, shown on page 67.

On the relays, the coil wire to the switches is terminal A. Those two colors on that terminal should be identical to that on the switch.

BLK / ground should exist on down relay pin 7 and up relay pin 9. All other voltages should match wiring diagram and switch state, shown on page 63.

garybly
Guest Contributor
My problem is I can't find the relay

wingless
Rising Contributor
That boat has 22 relays. Those are hard to hide.

There is a protected enclosure somewhere on the boat, near the main wiring.

If the exposed EIM panel is removed (under the seat, in the bilge) what is behind that panel?

Note that DC wiring should always be touched only after safely disconnecting all battery negative terminals.

wingless
Rising Contributor
When examining the relays, note the part numbers to aid in possible future replacement.

Relays can degrade over time, usage, inactivity and environment.

At some point it may be useful to have spares, stored in a proper environment to limit degradation, such as in a sealed pouch w/ desiccant. (Don't eat the desiccant).

garybly
Guest Contributor
I am a retired auto technician of 42 years, I know my way around electrical systems, just trying to get an idea where the relays are hidden, If in the bilge, I guess I'm gonna have to manually open the hatch :(. Poor engineering on Sea Rays part, there should be a backup way to open the hatch. I will install one after fixing it for sure.

wingless
Rising Contributor
There should already be a secondary method to open the engine room hatch.

On my 2000 380DA I can remove a floor panel, yank a clevis pin then use Hurculean strength to muscle the hatch open, then support it using the existing prop rod.

It would be surprising if Sea Ray didn't already plan on opening the hatch in a dead battery condition, as an example.

Doesn't a secondary method to open already exist?

wingless
Rising Contributor
Is it possible to remove side cushions and a panel, to then reach over to remove the lift clevis pins when the hatch is closed?

https://images.boattrader.com/resize/1/69/2/7866902_20210430082745414_1_LARGE.jpg

https://images.boattrader.com/resize/1/69/2/7866902_20210430082746417_1_LARGE.jpg

wingless
Rising Contributor
An "easy" solution would be to add a set of electrical terminals, external to engine room, to permit injection of battery voltage directly onto the hatch lift motors.

garybly
Guest Contributor
Yes it is possible, but the deck is very heavy, I did it once before, wedged it open and used a floor jack to jack it up. Not fun

garybly
Guest Contributor
Got it open, ended up being a bad relay that is mounted below the aft EIM, I can’t believe they didn’t locate that relay at the helm!