cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grab handle from cockpit to bow.Have...

TimmyT1
Guest Contributor

Grab handle from cockpit to bow.

Have a 2011 350 DA.  Leading up to the bow from the cockpit there is a grabhandle that runs along the port side of the sliding door with the builtin stairs.  The forwardmost bolt where it connects into the structure of the boat has backed out and I cannot seem to find a way to get to it.  As anyone else had this same issue and know how to get to it?  I am afraid to start yanking too hard on the ceiling panels.  

Thank you in advance!

7 REPLIES 7

wingless
Rising Contributor
Why not post images of both sides of the loose part, interior and exterior of the region where the handle is attached?

TimmyT1
Guest Contributor
Hi Wingless -
Here are pictures from the top side. I’m actually wondering if it might be easier to get to the boat by removing the walls in head. Thoughts?

wingless
Rising Contributor
Thanks for the image.

Yes, the fastener must be accessed from directly below.

What is directly below that fastener, an upholstered panel or a gel coat fiberglass panel?

TimmyT1
Guest Contributor
Thanks Wingless. By eyeballing it, it appears the head is directly below...so a fiberglass panel.

wingless
Rising Contributor
On my boat the construction appears that the entire gel coat fiberglass head was dropped into the hull prior to the top of the boat (above rub rail) being attached to the hull. My guess is yours is the same.

Remove the rub rail, unscrew the top cap from the hull, disconnect everything spanning the gap between those two halves, secure the top half to a lifting gantry, slowly raise the top half, carefully breaking any sealant joints, then replace the loose screw.

Please report when completed. Images would be handy too.

It might instead be required to carefully drill a hole through the fiberglass in exactly the correct location, then cover w/ a hole plug. If going this route, get a hole plug first, then drill the correct size hole. Another option is fiberglass repair, or West System epoxy repair.

TimmyT1
Guest Contributor
Thanks Wingless. Will let you know how I attack it.

TimmyT1
Guest Contributor
Wingless - circling back on the repair/fix. Instead of separating the top/bottom, I bolted a stainless steel plate over the existing hole and used JBWELD to attach the handle to the plate. It's not factory, but turned out pretty good. If the JBWELD doesn't hold, I'll through-bolt them together.