cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, I've got a 1994 Sea Ray...

jimboc
Guest Contributor

Hello, I've got a 1994 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer 290 DA with a single big block 7.4 liter Mercruiser with a Bravo 2. This season I've had my alarm buzzer go off a couple of times due to my SAE 90 outdrive gear oil reservoir being empty.  I topped it off the first time thinking maybe was never quite full in the spring after the drive was serviced and put maybe about 12 hours on the boat and it went off again with the reservoir being empty again. When I run the boat at the dock I don't see any Sheen or oil appearing on the water near the stern. I'm wondering if anybody has experienced this and if the leak has ever been the gravity feed rubber hose that runs from the drive oli Reservoir out through the transom?  Or if it is the drive that's leaking, where might the drive oil leak be? And number 3 is it possible that I haven't done any damage this season by running it? In other words, does a leak of drive oil necessarily mean that I now have water inside my drive?

7 REPLIES 7

fwebster
Guest Contributor
This might answer some of your questions: When a drive operates it generates heat, not a lot but some. Heat expands things so it is possible you are seeing a leak at the dock but that the drive is leaking under power. Similarly, when a drive cools down after operation it contracts and that will draw water into the lower unit. I would get the boat out of the water and have the drive serviced to be sure what you are dealing with.........it might save you a rebuild.

jimboc
Guest Contributor
Thanks

Captain_Jeff
Guest Contributor
I've noticed the same issue with my Bravo III, though the oil doesn't disappear that quickly. No oil in the bilge and none on the water, except if I trailer my drive. They I see an oil sheen. Can't figure out where the leak is coming from. No water in the drive.

jimboc
Guest Contributor
Thanks, mystery.

Stu2
Guest Contributor
The alarm sounds when the inside mounted resivour is low or empty. Your drive is probably full unless you have a major,pouring out leak. The drive itself hold approx. 2 quarts of gear oil. The leak could be the o ring or the filler valve that goes between the drive and the bell housing.this connection is disturbed when ever the drive is removed, and a little bit tricky to reinstall. Hope this helps

jimboc
Guest Contributor
Stu, thank you that sounds like the most probable cause I will find out when I pull my boat out in a few weeks the mechanic that did the drive servicing last year says he pressure tested the drive but maybe he missed that

CLJ
Guest Contributor
Have him check the fitting on the inside of the transom plate where the reservoir feed tube connects. It could be leaking into your bilge.