cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 1998 Sea Ray Sundancer...

JLB
Guest Contributor

I have a 1998 Sea Ray Sundancer 310.  I am getting an error message on the air conditioning control pad (P5).  The owners manual says refer to the AC manual which I do not have.  Does anyone know where I can get a manual?  Also, can someone tell me where the AC unit is located and how to access it?

10 REPLIES 10

Thbouro
Guest Contributor
Fault Shutdowns and Error Messages
High-Pressure Shutdown
In the Cool Mode, if head pressure rises above 400-425 PSI (28-30 kg/cm2) (usually caused by loss of cooling water flow, refrigerant gas overcharge or a fouled condenser) the SMX II
The SMX II control contains built-in safeguards designed to
protect your air conditioning system. These are described
below. will attempt three restarts, then shut down the entire system.
Hint
Your system must be equipped with a high-pressure switch and low-pressure switch for the high- and low-pressure shut- down to operate. You should check with your dealer to make sure these important protective devices are installed properly.
Fault Codes
If an operational failure occurs, the display will flash one of the following fault code messages. Fault code displays are cancelled by pressing the Off key.
The display will alternately flash “HI/PS”. This is a sustained shutdown, and even when the pressure lowers after shut- down, the system will remain off until reset by pressing the Off key.
In the Heat Mode, a rise in head pressure above the set limit (usually caused by poor airflow or incorrect charge) will cause the compressor to cycle off for two minutes, allowing the heat in the coil to dissipate. This prepares the system for recycling in the Heat Mode. The compressor will then continue to cycle, based on input from the high-pressure switch, until the cabin temperature reaches setpoint, after which compressor cycling is automatically restored to normal operation.
Low-Pressure Shutdown
When installed, the optional low-pressure switch is moni- tored by the SMX II control. The low-pressure switch opens when the suction pressure drops below 30 PSI (2.11 kg/ cm2), and resets at 45 PSI (3.16 kg/cm2). The low-pressure fault routine operates differently in the Cool and Heat Modes.
Cool Mode:
When the low-pressure switch first opens, the unit will run for two minutes, then shut down for 50 seconds. It will do this four times. If the switch has not closed, the unit will shut
Fault Code
Meaning
Result
LO / AC (or 200V)
Operating voltage remained below 100V for three minutes for 230V system)
Shutdown
HI / PS*
Head pressure above 425 PSI
Shutdown
LO / PS*
Suction Pressure below 30 PSI
Shutdown
PE
Program error in software
Shutdown
* Note: The “PS” in the high-pressure and low-pressure fault warning should not be confused as “P5” on the SMX II LED Data Display.

Thbouro
Guest Contributor
AC unit is below the berth

Thbouro
Guest Contributor
(Continue)
down for 15 minutes, and alternately flash “LO/PS” on the display. After 15 minutes of shut down, the cycle stats again in which the unit runs for two minutes and then shuts down for 50 seconds.
If, after 18 attempted compressor starts, the low-pressure switch does not stay closed, the unit will go into a sustained shutdown and flash “LO/PS”.
If the low-pressure switch closes at any time before the sustained shutdown, the unit will then operate normally.
Heat Mode:
If the low-pressure switch opens, the fan will automatically change to low speed to try and raise system pressure. It will run for 11 minutes in this mode. Note that the fan speed can not be adjusted at this time. Any attempt to raise fan speed will result in “LO/PS” being flashed, while the unit continues to run.
After 11 minutes, the unit will run for two minutes, then shut down for 50 seconds. It will do this four times. If the switch has not closed, the unit will shut down for 15 minutes, and flash “LO/PS” on the display. After 15 minutes of shut down, the cycle stats again in which the unit runs for two minutes and then shuts down for 50 seconds.
If, after 18 attempted compressor starts, the low-pressure switch does not stay closed, the unit will go into a sustained shutdown and flash “LO/PS”.
If the low-pressure switch closes at any time before the sustained shutdown, the unit will then operate normally.

License_to_Chi1
Guest Contributor
Have you checked the water cooling intake strainer in Bildge. Remember to close the water intake valve prior to cleaning strainer.

Seabuz
Guest Contributor
The P5 is actually PS. Check your raw water flow. If no water is coming out the thru hull up by the bow, the unit won’t cool and will shut down. You may have to blow out the line after the pump to see if that is clear.

temrad
Guest Contributor
Make sure you're pumping water through the system, the through hull is on the port side towards the bow. Check that your seacock is open and the pump is running. The last time I had the lops warning it was the circulating pump.

billy2
Guest Contributor
I had the same message, I had to turn off the automatic and run fan a little higher, the unit worked fine after that. Also if the boat is stored out of the water you either need to run on plane for a bit or put water thru the discharge thru-hull fitting

rowens001
Guest Contributor
When mine did that, I just had to clean out the strainer.

A-div
Guest Contributor
Just had this happen to me on Dancer 320. The AC cooling water (raw water) circulating pump is NOT self-priming. If the boat had been hauled-out and water drained as a result of pulling the strainer for cleaning, once splashed the pump can become airbound once it engages after about 2 minutes of running the AC. No circ. water = freon high temp. Thus, the shut down per the code you referenced. The way to verify this is that the circ. water discharge is port side forward. Start the AC and watch for circ water discharge within a couple of minutes. If no water and the AC unit shuts down, its either a bad circ pump or its air-bound. Airbound problem is solved by either reflooding the inlet-side of the pump (disconnect and fill the inlet line to the pump), or as a previous poster said, run water into the port side hull outlet. Either way "primes" the line and the pump will then be able to pull a fluid suction and then begin to pump.

Summer_Time
Guest Contributor
the AC unit is located on the Post side of the boat in the back bed area. You can access by taking the screws from the side panel and the AC unit is located behind the panel. My AC guy showed me how to force feed water into the discharge water thru hull to reprime the pump and she has worked fine since.