cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 2009 310 with 350 MAG...

Capt__Jim
Guest Contributor

I have a 2009 310 with 350 MAG engines (port engine was just replaced). Ever since I bought the boat, the starboard engine seems to burn more fuel than the port. Anyone have a similar problem?

20 REPLIES 20

ernie2
Guest Contributor
I have a 2006 340 and burn more off the starboard tank... But that's because it has a Genset and an sucks off the starboard tank. Is the 310 configured the same way?

Capt__Jim
Guest Contributor
Yes, but this happens even when I don't use the genset, especially on long trips.

Rod2017
Guest Contributor
I have 2008 310 and my port engine burns more fuel when I run the Genset. How far can you run on your long trips.

Summer_Time
Guest Contributor
I have a 98 310. I have 5.7 merc's. When running on plane my starboard engine requires me to be at 3400 RPM's my port engine runs at 3200 RPM,s as a result I burn more in my starboard engine. . They trim perfect at these speeds. I assumed that this was the reason for my different fuel burn. If you find another let me know.

ernie2
Guest Contributor
Another thought (and you probably considered this) - is the sending unit or calibration on the smartcraft right? when I haven't been using the genset and the tank gets low, the starboard side seems lower but when I actually fuel it up, i put the same amount of fuel in on both sides. I think there's something up with my sending unit that gets the reading off slightly below 1/4 a tank. Not enough to make me worried but I've noticed it.

Other thing - someone told me once that you can program the thank size into smartcraft... so if it thinks the tank is bigger than it is, that could throw things off.

Just something to consider and/or look for next time you fill up. Is it actually burning more or is the gauge just not right.

Capt__Jim
Guest Contributor
Both the analog and smartcraft agree. It could be a bad sending unit. Next time I fill up, I will compare gas usage. Thanks for all the suggestions.

ernie2
Guest Contributor
I'm told that the analog gauges are just dumb devices taking readings from the smartcraft system. Analog is just showing you what smarcraft is telling it.

Millah
Guest Contributor
I have a 1999 310 and notice the same thing with the 350 mags. Could it be just a natural consequence of the different prop rotations?

Capt__Jim
Guest Contributor
Then why just the starboard?

Capt__Jim
Guest Contributor
ernie, if that's true, the bad sending unit could make sense.

DJH
Guest Contributor
It could be different size gas tanks.In my 2009 310 the port is 107 and the Starbord ?93. The generator runs off the port.

tlrlc
Guest Contributor
i have a 2007 310DA with 6.2 and my starboard burns 2.0 gallons more per hour than my port -that is a reading instantly while running on my smart craft display, i know the gas tanks are different sizes also my generator pulls from port side, and my starboard sending unit has been replaced in the past... the transmissions are different from port to starboard but 2.0 gallons is a lot.

Capt__Jim
Guest Contributor
That is a big burn difference. I am assuming you had the engine checked out. Could it be that one out drive is running at a different angle than the other making the engine work harder?

tlrlc
Guest Contributor
i have v drives.

Millah
Guest Contributor
The 310 that I was talking about is V drives as well.

Capt__Jim
Guest Contributor
This is all very confusing. Could be just the difference in tank size. I'll check at my next fill up ($4.29/gallon)

Millah
Guest Contributor
The parts
List on my 99 310 says they are 1 gal different

DMorris
Guest Contributor
Do you have a generator?

Millah
Guest Contributor
I do not

Capt__Jim
Guest Contributor
My problem with the starboard engine fuel burn turned out to be caused by the difference in fuel tank volume. The starboard tank holds 14 gallons less fuel than the port tank. At fill up, I compared fuel used in both tanks and there was little difference in fuel used by the engines. Knowing this, I just have to be aware that my range is limited by the starboard tank since there isn't any cross over feed.