cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I own a 2015 Sundancer 260 with...

MarkO
Guest Contributor

I own a 2015 Sundancer 260 with onboard inverter .  Upon hooking up 120 v shore power I find no power in boat in 120 AC panel . No green power light ON nor gauge reading . I’ve tested power  source  on shore and cable receptacles .. all good

suggestions?

could problem be related to inverter ?

any help appreciated 

8 REPLIES 8

wingless
Rising Contributor
On my boat, where the shore power inlet cords attach, I also have adjacent boxes w/ on/off breaker switches.

Does that exist on your boat and has it been checked or cycled to ensure in the on position?

What is powered and what is not powered by the inverter? Is it factory or aftermarket installation? Does it have breaker locations on the panel?

Fishtank
Guest Contributor
An inverter takes DC/battery voltage and converts it to 120VAC. Inverter is not likely the problem. When plugged into shore power, the inverter should be bypassed. You should check the wiring from shore power receptacle to the AC switch panel. Wires from shore power should be going to a 30Amp breaker and you should be able to measure voltage on top of breaker and bottom of breaker is the breaker is good.
On RV's there is automatic transfer that takes place to switch between shore bower and battery/inverted power. Do you know if you have automatic transfer? Do you have 120VAC when not plugged into shore power?

MarkO
Guest Contributor
thanks for the response. I don't have a breaker switch as described above. the only switch is on my 120V panel inside the boat. I have discovered that if my batteries are low (below 13V ?) that my inverter blocks out the 120V shore power . after I fully charged my batteries, shore power worked again. My inverter also stayed enabled and was functional .. I just don't feel that I understand this inverter/ land power relationship . Searay hasn't been any help.
Any further comment would be appreciated

wingless
Rising Contributor
An examination of the Owner's Manual for your boat looks like the inverter option boat has different wiring than w/o that option.

Page 44 shows the inverter option boat has shore power receptacles for the 'fridge and inverter with galley and cockpit receptacles from the inverter.

Does the water heater, stove, A/C, battery charger and microwave all work fine?

https://bbg1.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/#E0000000Z21E/a/E00000000UNg/Cjo4KZVG8yUskQ8M21jI1RGlF4fuqDKsFS3wyOh5xsk

wingless
Rising Contributor
Page 47 shows a 30A dual main breaker after the shore power inlet, plus a second 30A dual main breaker at the Main Distribution Panel (MDP).

Fishtank
Guest Contributor
It is good you somewhat got shore power to work, but something still seems wrong/backwards. Whole purpose of shore power is to use that unlimited source instead of wearing down your batteries.
Could it be however that the circuit outlets that Wingless mentioned are always connected to inverter power. When you plug into shore power maybe there is an automatic battery charger which than always keeps the batteries charged up. Do you have an onboard charger and is it working to keep batteries charged?

PatH
Guest Contributor
The inverter has nothing to do with the green power light and the red reverse polarity. The inverter is after the Main Distribution Panel (MDP). Now the link provided is for a 2012 not a 2015. There shows a 35 amp breaker near the shore power inlet. In newer boats there can be an ELCI-RCD safety breaker that should be insite of the socket. This is so you can turn it off all loads before plugging and unplugging the cord, Otherwise you will arc up the contacts in the plug. It is also a special ground fault protector to protect people in and around your boat. There should be a test and reset button. Check for these.

PatH
Guest Contributor
checked the 2014 manual, cant find a 2015- yes these have the ELCI. "This device is located next to the main shore power
breaker either on the transom or in the Main Shore
Power Breaker Box."