cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We have a 98 310 Sundancer. Last...

MillenniumDolph
Guest Contributor

We have a 98 310 Sundancer. Last night I discovered a puddle of water beneath the aft berth in the corner closest to the head. The water had to of been new as the bedding wasn’t too wet and there was no mildew. After drying it up I tried running the sink and flushing the toilet, we had the heat on, but I could not figure out what caused the water and in the morning it was completely dry. 

I had checked the storage areas under the floors and no water there either. 

Anyone have any ideas as to what may have caused this?

8 REPLIES 8

Millah
Guest Contributor
I had the same on my 99 310. It turned out to be leaking window in the head. The water was running down behind the wall in the head and showing up where you indicate.

MillenniumDolph
Guest Contributor
Now that’s something I hadn’t thought of. There’s no window in the head, but there is one in the berth. Unfortunately I just got home from the boat so will have to check it out when we get back next weekend.

Motorvader
Guest Contributor
Just purchased a 2001 310 and after seeing many boats with damp, musty and, in one case, moldy interior we decided to have our marina reseal all hatches and port lights to keep the cabin dry and clean. Seems to be a chronic problem on older boats. One boat we looked at was so bad it needed new interior ($12K). It’s good you’re addressing it right away.

Lary
Guest Contributor
I had same problem and fixed it by caulking the wall under the window in the head.

MillenniumDolph
Guest Contributor
I think the problem was probably the simplest thing I’ve ever repaired, the window was open! It doesn’t explain how it was only wet in a corner not near the window, but perhaps the bedding had already dried and it was simply wet at the low point in the room. If it happens again I may need to look into caulking.

Motorvader
Guest Contributor
That's an easy fix! From other posts I've read the port light in the head can leak along the bottom edge and down the inside of the hull. When this happens you can't see water anywhere in the head - it runs under the head floor and onto the mid-cabin floor. Hatches and portlights need to be periodically resealed because boats are constantly flexing underway and the sealant eventually fails over time.

Motorvader
Guest Contributor
We're all dealing with the same issues on these older boats. I still think its well worth it though - a new Sea Ray 320 Sundancer costs over $500K!

MillenniumDolph
Guest Contributor
No portlight in the head, but there is one in the berth (the window that was open). The idea of it dripping down the inside actually makes a lot more sense as I don't get how it could have traveled through the window to the opposite corner, and any water on the outside would go into the bilge.

But totally agree with you on the older boats, it was much cheaper than my car!