cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Westerbeke diesel experts?...

Bob_440_DA_w_Ca
Guest Contributor

Any Westerbeke diesel experts?  I have an 8kw and it is hard to start.  After starting takes full load well and runs great.  2000 hours.  I heat glow plus for 10seconds then crank for about 5 seconds.  Nothing.  Hold heaters on for another 15 seconds then crank, sometimes starts but quickly dies although Imhold heaters and crank on.  I then need to wait about 5 minutes and then go through same routine and then it usually starts on second crank after firing for about a good 5 seconds until it catches and runs up.  Checked glow plugs and all good.  Thinking maybe weak priming and maybe a new fuel pump is in order?  Comments?

13 REPLIES 13

Hair
Guest Contributor
I would check the condition of the fuel filter and the air filter. I just bought a 2001 460 DA and I swear it had the original air filter.

fwebster
Guest Contributor
On the 8BTD the preheat switch has multiple functions. When depressed, it activates the glow plugs, opens the fuel supply solenoid, excites the alternator, turns on the instrument panel plus, it bypasses the oil pressure switch (which shuts down the engine when oil pressure is below about 10 psi).

To start the generator, depress the preheat switch and do not release it. After 15 seconds, depress the start switch and hold both the preheat and the start switches down until the engine starts. Release the start switch after the enfine fires up and smooths out enough to run on its own. Continue to hold the preheat switch down until the oil pressure is above 10 psi, then release the preheat switch.

From your description of your starting proceedure, it reads like you are releasing the preheat switch before trying to start the engine. You are actually turning off the fuel supply solenoid before starting so the engine behaves like it is being starved of fuel....which it is, if you release the preheat switch before the engine starts up.

Also, when you checked the glow plugs, how did you do it? The glow plugs are wired in parallel so you have to remove the wires from each glow plug to check them.......checking is done by measuring the resistance from the center terminal of the glow plug to the base of the glow plug. A good glow plug will show almost a dead short; a bad glow plug will show an open circuit.

Hope that helps....................

Frank

Bob_440_DA_w_Ca
Guest Contributor
Thanks. I do the start sequence exactly as you state and hold the heater switch down. The engine will still start and begin to run up once then die. I also have an alarm set at 10 psi and I get the alarm off after cranking a bit so good oil pressure. I removed glow plugs and checked on battery and they get hot fast. Also checked circuit and they are getting voltage and you can feel them on engine getting a bit warm. I need to check fuel solenoid. Maybe it is kicking off for some reason. Next step is check compression. Do you know the specs? If that is good I guess I try a new fuel pump.

fwebster
Guest Contributor
These little engines are almost bullet proof so I've never had one wear out and lose compression, so, I do not know the compression specs.

But, you may be on to something with the fuel supply solenoid.......it is made dirrerently than most. The Westerbeke solenoid has 2 coils. One is powered by the preheat switch, the other by the run switch. If either is weak, you will have starting problems.

Folgore
Guest Contributor
I may be asking the obvious, but have you checked / replaced the fuel filter and are you sure the fuel pump is working properly?

Hank_jr
Guest Contributor
If you checked glow plugs with amp meter and they are pulling the right amps have to go to fuel filter and assuming the air filter is good next the pump it is probably a mechanical if weather can put electric

Bob_440_DA_w_Ca
Guest Contributor
Fuel filter is new, pump is electric, and no air filter, just screen I think but I better check that a bit closer. I had assumed a screen so did not take it apart. If not that then next step is $200 for a new pump I am thinking.

Capt_Rick
Guest Contributor
I had the same issue, it is the fuel shut off solenoid it opens the fuel flow to start the engine. When you hit the preheat button you should hear the solenoid make a loud click sound which means it has open the fuel to the engine. This is the same solenoid that shut the engine down when you hit the stop button, it then shuts fuel off to the engine. You can check that it's working by opening the plate on the side of the fuel solenoid and you will see it move you can manually move the plunger back to open the fuel line, a good way to check the operation is to put 12 volts to the pos wire and see if you hear the sound of it moving. I had this issue and had to run 12 volts from the starter solenoid because it was not getting 12 volts from the preheat button, could never find out why after $$$$$ spent.
https://westerbeke.com/Product/SOLENOID/037100?productname=SOLENOID&productid=542029C4DAF73B1CA82D6DCD

LADONNA
Guest Contributor
Make sure all fittings on the fuel system are tight. If you lose prime on the fuel system it will get air bound and cause a hard start.

fwebster
Guest Contributor
The link for the fuel supply solenoid posted above is incorrect. Tne 8.0BTD solenois is external to the engine and just requires looking at it to see if it is opening and closing; there is no inspection plate to remove. This is the correct one:

https://www.amazon.com/Westerbeke-023041-Solenoid-12VDC-Genuine/dp/B0748KL34J

For illustration purposes only; Amazons price is retail....you can find OEM Westerbeke solenoids for $145-$150 online.

Also, you said the engine starts and runs after you go thru a lengthly start up process. If it runs, then the fuel filter isn't clogged and the fuel pump is working. Climb down into the bilge and start the generator using the panel on the generator wnd watch the solenoid arm. You can see it move whne the solenoid opens.

Your symptoms are exactly those of a sticking fuel solenoid.

Take_Five
Guest Contributor
Wow. Thanks Frank - cleared up all my starting questions for my 370 dancer generated also ! Thanks again

Nameless_Boat
Guest Contributor
Hi Guys. I too have a 440DA w/CAT 3116 diesel's and also the subject Westerbeke 8.0BTD genny (472hrs). It also experiences a crank/no start condition.
First, let me say we're fortunate to have Frank W on our forum. I've found him on other forums and his diagnosis on any topic is right on the money! This issue included.
That said, if I pull in the fuel solenoid by hand and start the genny down in the bilge, it runs great and the solenoid stays pulled in perfectly until I shut it down. It should be noted that there is a bulletin to make sure the wiring is delivering proper voltage to the fuel solenoid to "snap" it open. This voltage is from a different source than the "hold open" voltage source.
I'm not one to just replace parts. So, I'll check resistance on the solenoid first to be sure the "snap open" portion is defective. If it's good, I need to look into the wiring. But, the genny was starting just fine earlier last year with the switches in the cabin. So, I have a feeling I'll be buying a new solenoid. Thanks!

Bob_440_DA_w_Ca
Guest Contributor
An update on my generator. I had checked the solenoid and confirmed it was working properly. Because I was selling my boat and getting desperate I had the local service man come out. He cracked the pano fitting down stream of the fuel pump and said he heard a lot of air escape. After that the gen starts easy. I was afraid it was a short term fix but I had the boat for another month and every time I started it it was fine so seems it got some air and just could not bleed it out.