cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone one have advise? We have...

Flacoconut
Guest Contributor

Anyone one have advise? We have a 2006 260 Sundancer, and the norcold DC 12/24v refrigerator stopped cooling. So we took it out (they must have installed it before the top of the boat was put on ) barely, with great difficulty! We decided to mess with it in the garage and miraculously it began to work. For over a week we let it run. It froze water bottle and everything . So of course we reinstalled it and used it on shore power and it seemed weak but was doing the job so it was loaded for a day trip and took off. By the end of the day it was done. Running like normal, but just  not cooling. Afraid to buy a new frig for $700 and it possibly isn't the frig....Both of our batteries seem to be working well and we also had it running off the generator that day. Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

Jaybeaux
Guest Contributor
My refrigerator in my 420 was acting funning. I figured out that it was running on 12 volt DC but not on 120 volt AC (shore power). We deduced that the power supply was bad. Took pictures of the old one, found a new one on-line. Easy fix. But you are correct, the hardest part is getting the frig out and back in!

To test the power supply, you can remove it (you may have to cut two wires. Easy to reinstall. Just add spade connectors to the ends. With the unit out, plug into wall outlet, you should measure 120 volts on wires that power the frig. Next check, unplug from wall outlet, and touch 12 volt supply wires to a battery. I used my car. You should measure 12 volts on the wires that power the frig. If either of these tests fail, you need a new power supply.

Good luck,

Jaybeaux

JimF
Guest Contributor
If you decide to upgrade as I did this last year on my 2004 260 Sundancer you may have to remove the wood slides/feet and cut them down about 1/2 inch so the newer model will slide all the way back. Norcold no longer makes that model. My new refrig is 12/24/120. Check when you pull out the fridge if you have a 120V outlet on the back. My new fridge with LED lights and a door for the freezer is fantastic.

Curt1
Guest Contributor
I could be that the unit is low on refridgerant (most likely r134a). If low on refridgerant, it may work fine when the outside temperature is cool (<75 degrees). I had this problem with my norcold and found this info on web: " When we purchased our boat at the end of November and impossible to tell if the refrigerator was working. Well as it turns out like many Norcolds it didn't. I did all of the research finding out that they are very expensive to replace and sealed at the factory so they cant be recharged. Then I stumbled upon an easy fix Supco makes a product called a Bullet Piercing Valve, they come in various sizes to fit what ever size tubing you have. Once installed you will need an adapter to convert it from R12 to a low side R134a fitting it can be found at any auto parts store and a can of 134a in all it took less than 1/2 an hour and I was making ice. Here is a link to a pdf for the valves http://www.supco.com/images/08vlvs&.../www.supco.com/images/08vlvs&acsftngs.pdf
I purchased mine on amazon Total cost for the valve, adapter and freon was less than $25 Gary".

I don't remember where i found the step by step instructions to install bullet valve and then charge with some r134a bought at automotive store, but if you search web, you will find. Be aware that these units are very sensitive to amount of refridgerant, if there is too much or too little unit will not work properly. I believe a 0psi pressure on suction line (input to compressor) is the correct reading (but check web).

Flacoconut
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the advise so far ...keep you posted.

MIke
Guest Contributor
It is a sealed unit. No way to add Freon without re-plumbing. I got the replacement Norcold off Amazon for less than $700. Poorly packed, damaged, first one didn't work on 12v, second one worked. Made in China, poor quality control, and you do have to take 3/8-1/2 off the cabinet to make it fit. On the positive side, the new one works great and I also like the LED lights inside.