cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engine Hatch/U-Shape Seat Operation...

Den
Guest Contributor

Engine Hatch/U-Shape Seat Operation after Batteries Disconnected –2001 Sea Ray 280 SS

The entire rear seat must rise in order to access engine compartment and batteries. I removed pin on actuator arm through an access port in the seat then had to manually raise the hatch (seat) to remove the batteries for winter storage. I now understand this was not necessary if I use a set of “jumpers” using the just removed batteries from the cockpit to energize the system or AC power to enable the power hatch lift to operate.  Have heard of three ways and would like some guidance as to the best, safest and easiest way to do this. Option #1 below seems to be the easiest one and would be preferred if it would work.

Option #1 - Open the hatch and remove the batteries. Turn the battery switch on; then use the 12 v power plug at the dash with a 15 amp fuse and alligator clips to connect to one of the batteries (now in the cockpit).  Then use hatch lift switch as normal to lower the seat (hatch). What gauge wire should I use? Is there a better place or way to connect to the battery such as the drop down breaker/fuse panel at the dash?

Option #2 - Open the hatch and remove the batteries. Use a wire to connect to one set of the battery leads in the engine compartment; stream the wire somehow out of the engine compartment to the cockpit. Turn on the battery switch. Then connect the wire to one of the batteries just removed with alligator clips. Then use hatch lift as normal to lower the seat (hatch). What gauge wire should I use?

Option #3 – Open the hatch and remove the batteries. Connect the boat to shore power using the 30 amp power cord; turn on AC at the AC panel to energize the on board battery charger. Turn on the battery switch. Then use hatch lift switch as normal to lower the seat (hatch).

Thanks,

Dennis (Buffalo, NY)

1 REPLY 1

Acon
Guest Contributor
When I went to look at one of those that I was interested in. The owner used a battery jump pack and the cigarette/ 12volt power plug to open the hatch. Said he had been doing so for years.