cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Afternoon, I have a Sea Ray...

Boaterbob
Guest Contributor

Good Afternoon, I have a Sea Ray Jet Boat F-16 the Throttle, Gear Shift mechanism doesn't appear to shift without seaming its binding. Doesn't move freely and smooth. Not  sure if its because not in water and running or what. Or do I have transmission troubles? Any help would be appreciated. Bob Ecker,  BoaterBob

7 REPLIES 7

Jordan_G_
Guest Contributor
Since you have a jet boat, there is no transmission. To go in reverse, the gate on the back of the jet pump actually swings down to force water at an angle to give the boat backwards momentum. Jet boat impellers only spin one way.

You most likely have a shift cable issue. The shift mechanism should work freely, with or without being in the water.

Boaterbob
Guest Contributor
Jordan, you helped me before many thanks, that is exactly what we thought, we are replacing the cable. Thanks for your input BoaterBob

Jordan_G_
Guest Contributor
No worries. Glad to help.

Boaterbob
Guest Contributor
Jordan do you know of a good source for parts for a Jet Boat once again appreciate your help. BoaterBob

Jordan_G_
Guest Contributor
You should be able to buy parts for the Mercury Sport Jet fairly easily from Mercury dealers and from online retailers.

The 1990’s Sea Ray specific parts are harder to come by. Stripe tape, Sea Ray emblems, vinyl, etc. can be obtained, but may require a search. For instance, I was lucky to be able to get some parts from my Sea Ray dealer through special order. Other parts I purchased from Ebay. I needed a Sea Ray emblem for my steering wheel and was able to get it from a retailer across the country from me.

For plastic parts and things no longer available, I improvised.

Boaterbob
Guest Contributor
Jordan, thanks again for your help, it is apprciated

Jordan_G_
Guest Contributor
No problem. Good luck on your hunt.