cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello

Deere
Guest Contributor

I have a 1991 400EC, the starboard fuel gauge is not working. Any suggestions on where're to start to repair or replace it?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Kmas100
Guest Contributor
I have only yesterday replaced the fuel sensor on my 1990 420 DA. In my case, it was the Port sensor which was accessible via a small sliding door cupboard just before the cabin steps (on the left). Obviously Sea Ray don't make them anymore or whoever originally made them (possibly teleflex). I bought a 33-240 ohm expanding fuel sensor which are readily available and modified it. Basically, the one on mine was very long and the expanding one wasn't long enough. I had to replace the main shaft with small box tubing and replace the wire because that wasn't long enough either. I have attached a picture of the two.. The one on the left is the modified new one, on the right is the original.

Kmas100
Guest Contributor
One other thing, be sure to check your dash gauge first. The sensors have two wires on them. A black one which goes to ground and a redish / pinkish one which is the sensor. Shorting them together briefly should send the dash gauge to full, if it does, your gauge is fine.

Deere
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the info, I will check it out next time I get to the boat, and let you know what I find !

Kmas100
Guest Contributor
Deere, just to add.. I've located the manufacturer of my original one in the picture. They are made by Moeller who are still very much around. In my case it wasn't the mechanical arm that was at fault but the tiny dial gauge on the top which is removed by two screws. Moeller make a replacement version of this that you can buy. Too late for me now as the replacement works fine, but I may buy a gauge and refurbish the origional one.

Deere
Guest Contributor
Thanks, I have not had a chance to look at the problem yet, will keep you posted.