cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey Im sure this has been asked...

Verm
Guest Contributor

Hey Im sure this has been asked before, but how do we know if our boat is solid fiberglass hull construction or not? Have heard different things on this. Was hoping to see more information on my boat when I entered my Hull Number on this site, but they dont seem to provide anything. Would be great to see a build sheet from Sea Ray when we sign up.

6 REPLIES 6

fwebster
Guest Contributor
For the most part, hull construction is model and plant specific. You will get a quicker answer if you mention your model and year in your question since some of us may know the answers for your particular boat.

Some construction methods are changed during production so if this is a critical issue for you, you need to contact Sea Ray customer service with your hull number and ask them to look it up for you.

There has been a a lot of idle internet conjecture about cored hulls over the years. In actuality, there have actually there have been very few and nearly all of them have been traced to improperly repaired physical damage, poorly sealed openings cut in the hull or holes cut in the wrong spot by dealers or owners for mounting transducers, etc.

If you are worried about coreing as a construction method, almost every boat Sea Ray has ever built has a balsa cored deck and you have a much greater risk of core problems from failing to re-bed deck fixtures, windlasses, rail stanchions, spotlights, windshields, etc. than your hull.

Frenchie1
Guest Contributor
Great question by Verm - I have a 2009 43/47 Sundancer and was also wondering if my hull was solid fiberglass?

squirell
Guest Contributor
From what I understand the last year for sea ray solid glass hulls was 1989. Apparently once brunswick corporation took over they changed to cored hulls in 90. As someone wrote earlier it will also depend in your boat size etc...as to what year it changed.

TandE
Guest Contributor
Have a 2007 320DA; the hull is not cored on this generation of 320’s. The deck is cored, but when I took a leaking forward hatch out to clean up and re-bed, I confirmed that the cutout is glassed all the way through and no core is exposed, which is a relief.

DCHuynh
Guest Contributor
I installed a thru hull fitting for a wash down pump on my 2007 Amberjack, solid fiberglass!

TandE
Guest Contributor
I read that one of the improvements they made to later cored hull models was ensuring that all thru-hull sections were solid glass for like a 6” radius.