cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi Everyone, I have a 2008 230...

Mike42
Guest Contributor

Hi Everyone, I have a 2008 230 Select.  While the top of my carpets are in good shape, the bottom black rubber foam-like material is disintegrating in some areas and leaving small black granules on the floor.  Does anyone have a way to repair the bottom of these carpets that will be a solution to this ongoing problem? Thank you.  Mike

21 REPLIES 21

Bow_Tie
Guest Contributor
Not a new topic, it's time for new carpet. Nothing can be done except replace it.

Mikeeh
Guest Contributor
Actually, you can delay replacement by coating the bottom of the carpets with one of the spray on rubber products like Flex Seal. I did mine several years ago and they're still doing ok.

Lumbo
Guest Contributor
I sprayed mine with flex seal as well and works great

Pigpen
Guest Contributor
I had the same on my 390MY. Took rough sand paper and roughed the backside. Sand it enough to expose the plastic mesh. Got a gallon of flex seal and painted a thick coat. That was 2 years ago and it should last this season

Tgarris
Guest Contributor
Seadek! It’s beautiful

Mikeeh
Guest Contributor
Tgarris, true, costly but beautiful.

Richard07290
Guest Contributor
I bought the flex seal in a can and brushed on. Put two coats, and it is working great.

2jacksdig
Guest Contributor
Hi Mike, I just picked up an open bow to run around in. I just put the new PVC carpet on my Sundancer so I did not want to spend money on more carpet. The carpet on the open bow looks brand new until you look at the bottom. I bought a can of flex seal paint and rolled it on. It looks great and will allow me to use the carpet for another few years. I highly recommend using the flex seal paint.

Mike42
Guest Contributor
Thank you all for your comments and the flex Seal paint solutions. Much appreciated!

good_karma
Guest Contributor
That’s pretty funny I’ve been doing the flexseal for a couple years to fix the carpets

Admiral_Purrl
Guest Contributor
We just tried this. Only had a small spot on one piece so we did the spray can. Will report back end of season to see how it held up.

Tgarris
Guest Contributor
Not trying to be a negative nilly here but I also tried the flex seal and found that when it got hot in the sun it melted and stuck to the fiberglass floor, I had to put wax paper between to avoid problems. I decided instead of replacing with carpet to just spend the extra money on Seadek which is also comfortable on the feet. We used Castaway Customs and they did a fantastic job and were reasonably priced.

Admiral_Purrl
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the warning. We usually only use our carpet Spring and Fall... I use throw rugs during summer.

Pigpen
Guest Contributor
Can’t really comment other than yours must have been exposed to more direct sunlight than mine.

joe_t
Guest Contributor
Mine's been about 3 yrs.. Never stuck to floor so far

Paulswagelock
Guest Contributor
I have fixed several sets with this problem. Scrub the black coating with a stiff scrub brush and shop vac them. Then use a product called durabac smooth in black color, use a small roller and trim brush and put on two coats. It will look brand new and they will be good for at least 5 years.

Steele_y_Tutz
Guest Contributor
Durabak smooth, the truck bed liner?

Paulswagelock
Guest Contributor
Yes, works amazingly well. And looks like brand new.

Steele_y_Tutz
Guest Contributor
Well before you could comment back, I went and got a can of the Herculiner (the only thing that could be found) and sprayed the bottom of the carpet on the swim deck. I figured, what the heck, so taped and sprayed. Turned out great. Took a whole can to get it sealed. Will see how it holds up. If that one works for the season, I might pull others in the boat and just roll it on thin during the winter.

Flynlyon
Guest Contributor
Sounds crazy, but buy a gallon of white or black Flex Seal. Clean the carpet first with laundry detergent with some bleach. Rinse the heck out of it the hang it over a fence to dry well.
Get a small paint roller and on mine I put 3 heavy coats... works fantastic.. that was 3 years ago....

Steele_y_Tutz
Guest Contributor
I was worried about the sun hitting the carpets and heating the stuff up and having it glued to the floor. There is comments above about that happening. I have enough to clean up from the PO