cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi.  I have a 2011 Sea Ray Sundancer...

toddh
Guest Contributor

Hi.  I have a 2011 Sea Ray Sundancer 260 that I recently bought that sat for several years and only had 120 hours on it.  A local broker had it listed.  Boat is immaculate (stayed covered on a boat lift).  Been fighting typical stuff... replaced dry rotted bellows, new gymbal bearing, O2 sensors, misfires (replaced breaker/switch), check valve on manifold, water pumps, boat actually running good but after 20 minutes or so one of the manifolds/risers overheats.  Dealer recommends to replace exhaust manifolds and risers.  If the boat sat years with salt water in risers then I would say they are probably right.

Anyone done this on a 2011 SR 260 with the 350 Mag/300 HP?  What should cost be if I can still use the cats?  I have heard anywhere from $3500 to $5500.  All the O2 sensors and check valves are new so should be reusable. 

Appreciate any insight.

Todd

3 REPLIES 3

wingless
Rising Contributor
The OEM Mercruiser exhaust would rot out every 3 to 4 years, like clockwork, on my salt water boat.

My raw water cooled exhaust boat was designed to retain raw water 24/7/365 w/ NO way to drain or flush.

The exhaust was redesigned by me so I now flush w/ fresh water, soapy water, Salt Away, then drain bone dry after every operation.

The internal passages of my exhaust was inspected after three years of usage. Instead of having to rationalize if the parts are good enough for continued usage, my parts still look brand new.

Don’t take a chance, replace deteriorated parts. Always flush the raw water circuit.

On my boat I always only use OEM Mercruiser parts. Others save money by using aftermarket parts.

Vinster
Guest Contributor
That price must be mechanic replaced? Its not a hard job to do. $2200 in parts. 3-4 hours each side.

wingless
Rising Contributor
+1 on exhaust replacement being a DIY job.

There looks to be PLENTY of room around the engines on the OP boat.

https://images0.boattrader.com/resize/1/3/13/6950313_20190107142450208_1_LARGE.jpg?t=1301155

My experience is installing the first exhaust manifold bolt is the most difficult. After that is started, the rest is "easy".