cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi!  I need to re-glue the pads...

Impressa_Navi
Guest Contributor

Hi!  I need to re-glue the pads on the swim deck on our 2014 sundeck 22'.  Our local canvas shop said the glue is proprietary....any ideas or thoughts?   We already tried 3m adhesive with no luck...I said Gorilla glue and my husband gave me "that" look....

8 REPLIES 8

Kobus
Guest Contributor
Hi, you need a very good quality glue that stays flexible. Gorilla glue is great if you use the correct (silicone) type.

The biggest issue with re-gluing these pads is the preparation of both surfaces. Make sure to remove all (as much as possible) of the old glue. Then lightly scuff both surfaces with 80 grid sandpaper. After wiping with a damp cloth. Now wipe both surfaces with alcohol or paint thinners to remove any grease/oil or finger fat that might be lingering.

When you thorough preparation is done it's time to apply glue to both surfaces. Leave for about 10 min to settle and the stick the surfaces together.

Find a way to apply good even, firm pressure for 48 hours. That should do the trick.

Good luck.

MrTracy
Guest Contributor
Outdoor carpet glue from Lowes or homeDepot.

Tgarris
Guest Contributor
I’ve used Gorilla Glue successfully on Seadek, ensure you use the clear and follow the instructions. Good luck

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor
I've used Gorilla glue as well and it has worked great ---- unsure of the type, however.

Paulswagelock
Guest Contributor
Contact cement will work. Also, 3m makes sheets of 2 sided adhesive film, that can work. Generally, once they lift off they just need replaced.

gypsmjiminc
Guest Contributor
Why not simply call up the supplier of the pads and ask them?

bscheig
Guest Contributor
I have also used original Gorilla Glue to reattach pads to surfboards. This glue creates a foam as it cures, so don't use too much and/or tape off deck areas that you don't want to get covered with the foam. Remember to cut the foam before removing the tape.

mdaniel
Guest Contributor
I had the same problem with my 2016 240 SD. I removed the old glue from the platform with acetone and a wire brush which was a pretty tedious job. I used blue painters tape and cardboard to protect surfaces and overspray. I then sprayed generious coats of 3M High Strength 90 spray adhesive on both the deck and SeaDek and it worked great.