cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am a Lake Erie/Sandusky Bay boater,...

dhass
Guest Contributor

I am a Lake Erie/Sandusky Bay boater, and I would like to take a trip up the Detroit river, through Lake St Clair into Lake Huron. Any suggestions on marinas, hotels, places to see would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Dock_Dog
Guest Contributor
We have done this trip multiple times. Lake St. Clair is about a 3 hour run from Sandusky Bay and multiple great places to stop. Detroit Yacht Club on Belle Island which is at the south end of lake. Grosse Point which is close to Jefferson Beach and Macrays on North Side. All great places depending on what you want. We normally don't stop again until Lake Huron. If the lake is bad pull into Sarnia and wait it out, if not keep going to Lexington which is about another 3 hrs from Lake St. Clair. Where you stop depends on what your looking for, family activities, big party, etc.

dhass
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the input, waiting on Spring!

SB_in_gp
Guest Contributor
We boat on Lake St. Clair, and travel to both Huron and Erie every year. There are so many things to see in this region that IMO you should think of it as a multi-year adventure. If you are a yacht club member and you can get recipricol access to either the DYC or GPYC, those are both great private yacht clubs. If not, MacRays is nice and Mike's on the Water is a great watering hole (think dive bar in Key West). In general MI has a large number of State of MI DNR harbors. Do a google search, and you can reserve a slip online. All the DNR harbors are well maintained and affordable. Some of the little towns along Lake Huron are quiet and great places to relax - we love Lexington, Port Austin, and rustic Presque Isle. If you've not been to Mackinac Island, that should be on your bucket list (harder to get a slip, so plan ahead). If you want to go the Canadian side, a stop at Sarnia across from Port Huron is fun, as are Lake Huron ports of Bayfield, Kincardine, and Tobermory. But the ultimate trip in Lake Huron is into what's called the North Channel - one of the top boating destinations in North America.

A lot depends on what you are looking for and the size of your vessel/family/group, so more details would help. I'm sure others will chime in with opinions.