cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 1995 440 Sundancer. I...

Dinghy
Guest Contributor

I have a 1995 440 Sundancer. I am suffering with leaking hatches on the bow. What is the best way to resolve this issue?

9 REPLIES 9

wingless
Rising Contributor
Is the leak through the seal for the glass or around the hatch frame to deck junction?

Dinghy
Guest Contributor
Not sure about the location of the leak. If it is the seal, how do I correct the problem

Dinghy
Guest Contributor
Or if it’s the hatch frame.

fwebster
Guest Contributor
If the gasket is leaking, you can try adjusting the hatch closure cams. On eith side the lever that dogs the hatch closed has an adjustable cam on the lever. You will need to tighten them in very small increments,

On a 20 year old boat, it is more likely that the hatch is leaking around the seal to the deck. The hatch needs to be carefully removed from the deck, the hatch and gelcoat on the deck cleaned and t he hatch rebedded to the deck.

A word or caution here: The deck on the 440DA is fully cored and if the hatches have been leaking a while, there is a good chance that the core between the deck and headliner is wet and has begin to rot. If that is the case, the coring needs to be removed and the wet area dried out and filled with epoxy of new coring. Removing t he hatch and repairing the core isn't a D-I-Y job unless you have done it before. This one may be best left to the professionals.

Dinghy
Guest Contributor
Thank you. I'll keep you posted.

Del1
Guest Contributor
My 1995 270 Sundancer had the same problem, fortunately it was the hatch seal. I haven't yet sourced a new seal but I did stop the hatch leaking by treating the rubber with petroleum jelly (it was quite dry) and adding an additional self adhesive sealing strip around the hatch. If anyone knows where I can source a new seal for the hatch in the UK, I would be very interested, as I want to make a more permenant repair ready for next season....

SMT
Guest Contributor
SeaRay parts or Flounder Pounder (same company)

Time_Well_Waste
Guest Contributor
This is a common problem. The solution is to pull the hatches and re bed them in 3m 4200.

Tscannie
Guest Contributor
While pulling out and rebedding the hatches is no doubt the proper fix, be very careful removing the hatch. Unfortunately, you can easily damage the fiberglass around it. You Tube makes it look easy, but you may want to have it done professionally.