cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 1999 Sundeck 210, Power...

Dansel
Guest Contributor

I have a 1999 Sundeck 210, Power steering is very tight, like fighting to turn either direction. At times it hangs up and won’t turn without extreme force and then breaks free for a few seconds. There is a little slop when cruising also. Would like to diagnose this issue and repair.  Has anyone else experienced this and what steps were in you’re diagnosis? Thanks in advance...

7 REPLIES 7

Dansel
Guest Contributor
Not the cables. Removed Clovis pin and turns easily. Anybody...... Buellar Buellar .......... Ferris Buellar??

Jordan_G_
Guest Contributor
I had the tight steering problem. It ended up being a bad steering cable. You checked the power steering fluid I assume? Do you have grease fittings on your steering system that have been checked?

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
Cables could still be the culprit, there is a lube jacket inside the cable generally made out of Teflon that could be worn through, generally at a turn that is binding under pressure. If all other components move freely while disconnected, I would be leaning towards the cable.

Dansel
Guest Contributor
Try again. Fluid is good. Worked Steering g as suggested for air and no change. I cannot find any lube fitting, even under or back side of actuator or cable. I think i will take a stab at replacing the Cables and go from there. Thank you for the help, 1st Time “Boat” Owners here.....

somefun
Guest Contributor
I think it’s the cable too. Mine had the same symptoms and I also removed the pin to isolate the problem and thought it moved just fine. I researched a lot but finally bought and installed a new cable and the problem was gone.

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
It’s the piston on the steering to the rudders very common with searsy

Dansel
Guest Contributor
Sorry for such a late update!!! We moved and today was the first day we took a ride on the Sundeck since all my work was done. I had to replace both the Steering Cable and the actuator piston. Even with a new cable the the steering piston was rocking and seizing the steering. So i replaced it also. It was a true pleasure to cruise around Charlotte Harbor, Florida and not fight the steering the entire time. Thank you for the comments. Enjoy the learning aspect also.....