cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 2005 SeaRay 280 Sundance...

Frankie_T
Guest Contributor

I have a 2005 SeaRay 280 Sundance with MercCruiser v6 engines.

I am experience engine restart issues, when I stop anywhere  after leaving the dock ( shore power) I cannot get the starboard engine to start, it cranks like it wants to start but doesn't and I get the smell of fuel, I cannot restart the engine, I dont think I have a fuel transfer valve , has anyone had a similar experience?

11 REPLIES 11

wingless
Rising Contributor
First and most important, there should never be a fuel smell. That is a dangerous condition that should be identified and corrected.

The shore power / no shore power does not appear to correlate because of the reported engine cranking normally. If the additional power from the AC/DC battery charger on weak batteries was a factor, then the engine would crank slowly when away from the dock. Try killing shore power when arriving at the boat, long before starting to verify that isn't a factor.

Frequently proper cranking and fuel smell indicates an ignition problem. Most ignition problems are not also restart. For example if the coil fails when hot, it is also hot after the engine warms up. Poor electrical connections don't only happen after a stop.

One of the issues w/ boats like mine is heat soak vapor lock. Everything runs fine, shut down for an hour, the engine compartment temperature rises, then the engine won't restart because of fuel being vapor not liquid. Mercruiser now offers a low pressure fuel pump kit that purges the fuel vapor. I instead developed and installed a thermostatically controlled engine room heat extraction system that has 100% resolved the problem.

Try opening the engine compartment during the stop, to permit natural convection for heat removal during the stop to see if it prevents the restart problem, pointing at vapor lock.

A fuel pressure gauge connected to the fuel rail will show if vapor lock is the source during the problem.

Dogfaceboy
Guest Contributor
Agreed with above. I had similar issues. Replaced the fuel cooler and problem has resolved. If you leave the engine for some time will it start fine?

Valkyrieyachts
Guest Contributor
Just had a similar issue - Changed batteries all is great

Frankie_T
Guest Contributor
Thanks for your response, it was very helpful

Frankie_T
Guest Contributor
Thanks, batteries are brand new

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
Sounds like it’s flooding out that’s why u smell fuel could be injectors

wai_phung
Guest Contributor
How old is gas?

wai_phung
Guest Contributor
I had similar problems, but paint flakes from cool fuel clogged all the injectors and fuel rail. Mercruiser had a tsb on it and covered most of the bill

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
It’s going to be the cool fuel modules paint peels off inside of them I had same issue fuel pressure will read high

PETERW
Guest Contributor
Could be a vapor lock issue. The engine compartment is really tight on my 2005 340. Experienced similar problem with engine start but with no problem after cool down. Please note that Sea Ray recommends running blowers most of the time especially at slow speed as there is not enough cold air coming in to cool things down contributing to heat soak. Once I started doing this the problem has not recurred.

PETERW
Guest Contributor
I should also mention that the cool fuel system on my 2005 340 was redone several years ago. So, that is not the issue in my case. A local Mercruiser mechanic also told me that the vapor lock issue is common during prolonged idle and slow speed if engine room temp gets above 165 degrees. Some times blockage of coolant water flow at the module also causes this problem