cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 2008 Sea Ray 44 Sedan...

Gypsea_Seauxl
Guest Contributor

I have a 2008 Sea Ray 44 Sedan Bridge. A couple weeks ago my Green light in the extra head began staying on when I flushed instead of turning red but it flushed with no problems. However now the head will not flush and water is not vacuuming out of bowl. Any ideas what to check?

15 REPLIES 15

Captain_Charlie
Guest Contributor
I’m assuming the other head works? If so, it sounds like it a clog in the waste water line.

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Before you starts tearing the vacuum pump apart.....turn off the head, leave water pump on......press the foot pedal down and pour 3/4 cup of DAWN dishwashing detergent down the lead.....allow water to flow down into the head. Let this STAND for 2 hours......turn everything back on andcsee if this clears your problem.....since vacuflush was introduced (12+ years) I have used DAWN as a preventative maintenance item and have had amazing results.... I treat heads with DAWN about every two weeks during boating season....

SeaMax
Guest Contributor
I have used detergent as a preventative but it sounds like you line is completely clogged and the detergent is not going to get to the problem area. I have had success in the past by using a plunger - holding foot peddle down and working vigorously. If that doesn’t work, your probably facing the task of taking the lines off on either side of the vacuum pump and clean the duck bills. Not a fun job.

Proud_Warrior
Guest Contributor
Torn off your fresh water pump and or dock water. Press down the affected head flush pedal to open the ball valve. When open place a garden hose down into the drain line and turn hose on full blast. This will clear away most clogs. Vacuum pump should start working. Turn on boat water.

RAV
Guest Contributor
All good ideas. I have found that periodically turning off water pump and pouring a bucket of very hot water into the system keeps everything clean and working. Have not cleaned or replaced duckbills in many years.

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
So what was the problem???

Gypsea_Seauxl
Guest Contributor
Thanks Captain Rick! I finally got back to the boat, poured dawn into the head, left it off for 36hours. The pump was working when I turned it back on but I then had to flush a lot of water into the head with a few flushes To get the pump to stop and the light to turn green. But for now the problem is solved! Thanks for the suggestion!

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
GREAT!!! Regular weekly treatments (when the boat is in use) prevent virtually all of these problems with VACUFLUSH heads. I have used this preventive maintenance rountine for over 20 years on 4 boats and have never had to replace Duck bill valves, vacumn pump seals...nothing.

Yachts_of_Fun
Guest Contributor
Can you please share the suggestion for your routine maintenance for the VACUFLUSH? I dont see it in the string. I am having issues with one head not holding water in the bowl

Yachts_of_Fun
Guest Contributor
Nevermind...just saw the EXPAND button to see the rest of the comments! I am going to try these

Thanks

jimromer
Guest Contributor
I am interested in learnng Capt Rick's maintenance routine for the VacuFlush system on my 37' Searay express. Although one member stated there is an EXPAND button on the link, I cannot locate it. Please advise. Thanks.
Jim

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
When we are using the boat on a regular basis I put 1/4 cup of Dawn in each head. Fill the bowl TO THE RIM and flush. I do this on a weekly basis. We have had Vacu Flush heads for probably 15 years and have following this rountine and have never had to open the head up.

RAV
Guest Contributor
Very helpful. Thanks.

World_hq
Guest Contributor
Captain Rick, I’m assuming Dawn is for lubrication of the internal parts?

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Dawn breaks down all the body’s oils, cleans and lubricants the vacu flush components. In your case I would put a cup down for the initial treatment then go to 1/4 cup weekly when using.

Rick