cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 29 Amberjack with a Mercruiser...

gsshelley
Guest Contributor

I have a 29 Amberjack with a Mercruiser 5.0 engine. I've changed filters for my Gen 3 fuel cell a number of times but this time the lid w/ handle does not want to come off. Perhaps some corrosion is making it stick onto the fuel cell body (kinda feels like it's glued on) and would appreciate any suggestion on how to proceed without breaking anything. Perhaps a flat screw driver applied carefully and working it around would do the trick?? But maybe there is a better way. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Charles3
Guest Contributor
I have the same boat with the same engines and experienced this just recently as well. It is not clear in some materials, but that space where the primary filter goes is actually a plastic cup and there is ANOTHER filter under it (a disc like filter). I had not known that or removed the cup to change the disc filter and I think that led to it getting gummed up and stuck. I had to pry it out and it was not salvageable and had to purchase a new one which I could not find without the top as well. Good news is that this is all cleaned out now and solved a fuel issue I was having at high speed on that engine (not enough fuel could flow through and engine power fluctuated). Good luck...

gsshelley
Guest Contributor
Thanks Charles but I was referring getting the top lid off ( after undoing the 3 screws) that accesses the two filters. The disc filter is the most problematic (needle nose pliers work best to remove it) and needs changing more frequently.

Charles3
Guest Contributor
I didn't describe my issue well. Corrosion/gunk around the cannister/cup was preventing it from lifting up and impacted my ability to get the cap off when the screws were backed out. I had to pry the whole think out and ended up replacing the cap and canister...

gsshelley
Guest Contributor
In retrospect Charles what would have done differently to try and get the cap off?

Charles3
Guest Contributor
Yes, that would have been nice, but I did not realize at the time that the cup was 'frozen in'. Thinking about it now, maybe if I removed the whole Fuel Cooler and soaked it in something (I have used CLR to clean other components), it may have come free...

Captn__Henry
Guest Contributor
Lubricate the O-ring before installing the cap prevent dryness and corrosion from sticking to the O-ring and housing.