cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have always taken the batteries...

Cliff
Guest Contributor

I have always taken the batteries out for the winter.  Feedback on this forum last week says that it is important to keep them charged.

I was thinking of putting the batteries on parallel and connecting a solar panel to the cigarette lighter or directly to the battery to keep them maintained.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

8 REPLIES 8

wingless
Rising Contributor
That approach will have acceptable results, in theory.

But, what if the wind detaches the cord, or snow covers the panel, or any other failure occurs?

It would be disappointing to discover the problem in the spring, after battery damage sets-in.

Plus the exercise from hefting batteries around needs to be replaced somehow...

Cliff
Guest Contributor
Would the constant changing of the batteries be a problem? A trickle charger is self regulating.

wingless
Rising Contributor
No, a battery is "happy" w/ continuous low-current regulated charging current.

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
I charge mine all winter and I leave batteries in u can buy a 110 to 30 amp adapter to plug in ur shore power and the charger onboard will keep it charged just make sure that battery has distilled water in it if serviceable

MrB18
Guest Contributor
I have been using solar chargers for a few years and have had no issues to date. I have a smaller one for the single battery and larger one for the dual bank. Everything is disconnected and the charges are self regulating. They are DelTran Corp. Battery Tenders. If you do go that route make sure you buy extension cables and route them so they do not get crushed by the engine hatch. I place a 2X4 to hold the hatch open about 1" for the cables to come out.

TimboSlice
Guest Contributor
What wingless said "no battery is happy with continuous low current regulated charging current"

RBJones
Guest Contributor
Wingless said the opposite of your quote. Check his placement of the comma.

Bernie
Guest Contributor
At the end of each season, I remove both batteries from my boat and store them in my heated garage. I inspect them for any visual defects, carefully clean the top surfaces including under the battery caps. Then I top off the cells with distilled water, cap them and trickle charge them till fully charged. Each month I trickle charge them again until boating season. Battery one was purchased in 2012. Battery two was purchased in 2014. Never had a battery problem.