cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have been paying my marina to...

SeaMax
Guest Contributor

I have been paying my marina to winterize my SR410DA and want to do the water system myself this year. My thinking is: run pump until all water is evacuated from tank, drain and bypass water heater, put pink in the water tank (not sure how much} run all taps until a good solid flow of pink. Can anyone that that does their own winterization verify I am on the right course here. I will still leave engines and air conditioners to the marina. Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

Shark
Guest Contributor
Yes that would be fine. I do the same thing. Remember to do all faucets including the transom shower and any wash down, flush head a few times to get pink stuff there. If you have a ice maker shut disconnect fittings and drain them.

wingless
Rising Contributor
The annual winterization of my boat was performed by me each year. The Spring is where issues / problems are discovered. The commissioning of my boat each year was uneventful. (My current operation in the tropics removed that fun from the equation.)

For your inquiry, yes, drain the fresh water tank w/ taps open until only air flows. {Don't forget the head.) The water heater is the problem. On my boat it is a horizontal bottle w/ taps on the side, leaving at least a gallon within the interior. Bypassing the water heater is the common solution, to ensure all the hot plumbing gets full strength of pink.

After empty I would dump three gallons of pink into the fresh water tank, then open each tap until I got a good pink flow, including the head flush.

The theory on the water heater is that a horizontal cylindrical tank w/ spherical end caps having water in the bottom will have expanding ice rise rather than crack the tank.

Remember there are parts extending into the tank limiting that effect. These include the heater element, the over temperature sensing rod and the hot pickup tube.

On my hot tank I've diluted w/ pink and I've removed and manually drained to not have problems. All methods had no water heater problems.

For the rest of the boat, I just made a checklist to ensure everything is completed to avoid problems.

SeaMax
Guest Contributor
Thanks, especially for the reminder on the transom faucet and I also have one in the locker. My water heater is square and easy to drain. I will also pump some pink in there after reconnecting the bypass. All this seems pretty simple when considering what the Marina has been charging me.

wingless
Rising Contributor
The insulated water heater enclosure is box shaped.

The interior water heater bottle is cylindrical w/ large diameter spherical end caps.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48666441008_a84ed3def6_c.jpg

Mikeeh
Guest Contributor
Don't forget to pour a little extra pink down each drain just to be certain...it's cheap insurance. Also, get a good pump out of your holding tank, then fill about half way with clean water and pump out again. Solids laying in there all through the off season will get "more solid" and may not be easy to remove.

wingless
Rising Contributor
My Vacuflush maintenance includes periodic holding tank pump out, followed by removal of the large level sensor assembly to use that opening to permit scrubbing the tank interior.

A long handled brush is used w/ powder cleaner and a garden hose to restore the tank interior to being nice and clean.

Captdkw
Guest Contributor
My boat also has an anchor wash down and fresh water windshield washing spray. Be sure to winterize those items if you have them.

cbruck
Guest Contributor
Even though I'm not in freezing temps, I always forget to winterize the bilge pump in the cabin which has the ac and shower water pump out. Someone suggested just pouring vinegar down the shower drain. Otherwise, like me, you'll end up in the spring cleaning the pump etc to get the algae that has accumulated and plugged up everything.

wingless
Rising Contributor
That shower / AC sump pump system is important to protect.

The one on my 2000 380DA has a check valve on the output, retaining water above the check valve to the side hull fitting.

My maintenance includes periodic disassembly and cleaning of that shower sump.

SeaMax
Guest Contributor
Thanks. My sumps are dual purpose - shower and AC. So when I bleed the showers, the sump will fill with pink. I also have check valves but the discharge will will be filled with pink from bleeding the showers. The only time I physically clean the sumps is when I have to replace a pump. In the interim, I pour bleach in the shower drains and let sit for a while, which cleans the line as well as the sump.

SeaMax
Guest Contributor
Cbruck - vinegar freezes are around 28 deg F so I wouldn’t count on that as freeze protection. We get minus 20 and lower around here. Actually I use bleach to clean the sumps which also seems to work well - just put it down the drain and let sit. Thanks for the comment.