cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help any ideas on what to...

cappy
Guest Contributor

I need help any ideas on what to do?  How about how long she will stay afloat?

On Aug 6, 2014, I entered into a contract with Capt. Steve Gilliam of Galati Yacht Sales to purchase “Home Improvement”, a 1996 Sea Ray Sun Dancer 450 Owned by Kim Eric of Destin, FL for the sum of $90,000.00.

At the recommendation of Capt. Gilliam, Mr. Dennis Heine / A.M.S. of Nautical Services, Inc. in Gulf Shores, AL, was employed to perform a Report of Marine Survey on this vessel. This survey was performed on Aug 14, 2014 at Galati Yachts, Destin, FL.  The result of the survey was an overall vessel rating of “Above Average” with a fair market value of $123,000.00 and an estimated replacement cost of $1,075,000.00.

After purchasing the yacht and spending a week or so aboard, my wife and I were dissatisfied with the yacht and on Oct 20, 2014 entered into a contract with Capt. Steve Gilliam of Galati Yacht Sales to sell the yacht.

During this period of time the yacht was docked in Destin, FL and was maintained by Capt. Steve Gilliam.

On Jun 26, 2015 Mr. Seth Curtis of Niceville, Fl. entered into a contract to purchase this vessel for $92,500.00. A survey was performed by Mr. Mills, and due to this report indicating fiberglass damage to the vessel’s hull an amended offer of $75,000.00 was presented by Mr. Curtis. I countered at $85,000.00 but Mr. Curtis said no and the contract was terminated.

Due to the finding of his surveyor I told Capt. Gilliam to get another survey done on the area in contention. This survey was performed by Mr. Dennis Heine of Gulf Shores, AL (same surveyor that did the original) at the Freeport Boat works, Freeport, FL on Jul 16, 2015 with the following conclusion: “…Initial preliminary repair costs suggest $75,000 - $95,000 for hull side core material repair and painting the vessel back to pre-casualty condition. Based on the vessel’s current market value, repairing may not be in your best interest.”

12 REPLIES 12

wingless
Rising Contributor
Is it appropriate to post all this information and details in a open forum?

cappy
Guest Contributor
how would you post it without all the info. Knowing this what would you do?

cappy
Guest Contributor
I've been boating for 55 years, I have a Coast Guard Captain's license and have owned 6 boats 16' to 45' how could this happen to me

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
If you plan to retain legal counsel, I would highly recommend you REMOVER this from a public forum.

fwebster
Guest Contributor
I would take the boat over to Treasure Island Marina in Panama City Beach to have them evaluate the hull and recommend repairs. Treasure Island has been in the Sea Ray and boat repair business about 40 years and they have their own glass shop and boat yard/travellift and are competent to do this type of work.

As I understand your post, the same surveyor who missed the hull damage when you did your pre-purchase survey now thinks it is a $90K problem. That is a big question mark for me and I would want someone who has done this type repair to evaluate what really needs to be done.

Good luck with it................

Captain_Rusty_H
Guest Contributor
Morning Cappy,

I have been following your postings, and like others here, certainly hope you can find some professional assistance for peace of mind. You mentioned being in the Florida panhandle area and like fwebster suggested, I would have utilized the pros at Treasure Island Marina for a true assessment from an authorized Sea Ray repair facility. But it seems you have motored north and are currently on the Tennessee river.

I am a Sea Ray person and would be happy to assist you with any product information a repair facility may need or like to review. Can you tell me where the Sundancer is, in case I know a good repair place nearby that I may recommend?

I too would have a few questions as to the past experiences on this boat, but you are in need of direction now, not what’ifs. If you would like my help sir, I will be happy to offer all the technical assistance we can, to include a phone call for product knowledge on the 450.

Standing by,

Rusty

cappy
Guest Contributor
Captain,
email is [ [email protected] ]( mailto:[email protected] ), look forward to your assistance!
Keith

Captain_Rusty_H
Guest Contributor
Am I connected with you Cappy?

Rusty

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
How did this saga end?

cappy
Guest Contributor
No end and no middle! Can't get anyone at Sea Ray to tell me the what to do about this damage or how long in the condition she is in will she float or what would be a fair money deduction on the survey because of this problem. How do I go about sell her?

Captain_Rusty_H
Guest Contributor
cappy.....don't know if you remember me or our conversations but I am a 32 year employee of Sea Ray Boats and have a very good understanding of your issue. I called you and we spoke for well over an hour discussing the survey findings, which you indicated were not found on the original survey conducted less than a year earlier. We talked about how to approach such a repair and who may be the best outfit to do whatever work is deemed necessary. The boat was on the Gulf Coast were we know great folks who do great work, but the boat was relocated up the Tennessee River. I believe I still even offered places like Aqua Harbor Marine on Lake Pickwick but have not heard back. Yes Sea Ray can, and has offered our opinion and advise on a repair approach but asking us to make repairs on a 20 year boat which showed "Above Average" in Aug 2014, then be considered "not worth of repairing" in less than a year, with some known physical damage is tough for any manufacturer to talk warranty without discussing limitations. Has your surveyor offered his opinion on how the boat went from above average to below standards, in less than a year's time since he conducted both?
I will still offer my assistance to any repair facility you can find on the river, by sharing engineering drawings and talking with them on how the boat was built...I know the '96 450DA well and would happy to share that info. There's the middle and will gladly help with the end, but saying no one at Sea Ray can tell you anything, may not be a fair statement.
Let me know if I can help...again.

Capt. Rusty Higgins

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Cappy...Seems like a Sea Ray wants to help but can't be expected to foot the bill. Sounds like your surveyor really screwed up and you- IMO and you are left with this situation. Have you talked to an Admiralty Lawyer to determine if you have any recourse?