cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kudos to Don: The OxyClean removed...

twin_engine
Guest Contributor

Kudos to Don: The OxyClean removed the rust. I tried a variety of products to no avail. Here is what I did:  I used the OxyClean gel, following the directions of applying it and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes. Then with a Scotch Bright non scratch sponge I rubbed vigorously, using the mildly abrasive side. the sponge started out being somewhat  wet, so a small amount of water was first on the surface. I started this way, being unsure what the cleaner would do on a dry surface, although the directions say to put it right on the material. Better  to safe than sorry. It took quite a bit of rubbing and periodically I would add more gel to the specific area and resume the scrubbing. I kept it slightly moist, simply due to the sponge starting out wet. When all of the rust was removed, I rinsed with a jug of hot water and dried the vinyl  and deck. Turned out great. 

In the spirit of sharing information: After Irma, our white vinyl seats had significant mildew and stain damage. occurring because it was some time before we could get to Florida to check on things. We tried several marine specialty products in an effort to remove the mildew, all to no avail. I then purchased Bass Pro Shop Mildew Stain remover for  mildew on the seats and backs,  and on some of the fiberglass cockpit area, simply because I was running out of options. Frankly, I thought they were ruined and was looking at an insurance claim and deductible (if they were a covered loss).  I am not plugging for this product, but only passing on that it is unbelievable how the mildew and dirt came off the seats, making them look as before.   Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. 

3 REPLIES 3

Gill1
Guest Contributor
Another great product to remove rust and grease is Barkeepers Friend, can be used on any fabric or surface, unlike chlorine bleach.

twin_engine
Guest Contributor
Thanksfor sharing the info

Bernie
Guest Contributor
Shortly after purchasing my boat, one sunny day a pretty girl was lounging on my white seats while wearing a black bathing suit that transfered her fabric dyes to my vynal seats. I tried every trick to remove the stain that I knew, to no avail. My tech savvy daughter did some research on line and came up with a solution. This is no joke, It worked!!! she told me to apply PEANUT BUTTER on the stain and let it rest overnight. No kidding, it really worked. after cleaning, a decent application of 303 has kept my cushions like new.