cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking a a Sea Ray with a black...

Jayhawk
Guest Contributor

Looking a a Sea Ray with a black hull. Looking for feedback from Members with real experience with Sea Ray dark color hull  

22 REPLIES 22

trush
Guest Contributor
I have a black hulled 40DA. Love, love, love this boat. When clean, the black is the most beautiful boat on the water.

This is a fresh water boat that is kept in a covered slip, so it doesn't get direct sun exposure much. I have it waxed every year and only use boat soap and a long extended deck brush to wash. I don't dry it and it doesn't leave spots.

Pooh
Guest Contributor
Have Navy hull, keep it waxed and be ready for lots of compliments.

CaptKC
Guest Contributor
Had a 390 DA with Navy hull for 6 yrs. & loved it.

Mikeeh
Guest Contributor
Mine is a 2007 with a hull that's partially black. Bought it after it had sat unkempt for 2 years. Compounded, polished and waxed it and now it's like a mirror. If you take care of it it will stay beautiful. Black hulls matter! 😊

Shorebum97
Guest Contributor
Have a Navy hull on my 2006 Sundancer and it looks great, now. The original owner put Poli Glow (of "never wax your boat again" fame) on the hull. The first 2 winters I owned the boat, water mark areas appeared anywhere the shrink wrap got water behind it (think water marks on a nice wood finish). The first year I lived with it for expediency's sake but the second year the white water mark areas were bigger and very unsightly. My detailer consulted with the Poli Glow factory and found the only solution was to strip it all off using their proprietary stripper and do it all again. Ended up compounding the old Poli Glow off and waxing it every year. I get compliments on the hull frequently, even by the previous owner.

lady_Patricia
Guest Contributor
Any hull color except white equals more work. Dark hulls show every mark or stain much more prominently than a light hull.

Valkyrieyachts
Guest Contributor
Not sure what kind of feedback you are seeking. I have a 2008 55 Sundancer with a Navy hull. Southern CA based. My experience with many dark hulls around the ocean and with all year boating is that at some point the begin to get chalky. Usually around 5-8 years, but can be extended if waxed at least a couple times a year. I repainted with Awlgrip after 9 years with the same color as it looks great.

Auditor
Guest Contributor
I have a dark blue 340. More work keeping it looking good than a white hull but worth. I am always getting positive remarks from people.

Jolly_Mon_II
Guest Contributor
We have a navy hull in salt water. We wax her every 6 month to hold down the oxidation. We love the navy hull but the maintenance is more expensive, but it is worth it in our opinion

boating1
Guest Contributor
I have owned many boats, all white, I think black looks great when new , but many many boat owners say stay away. I will not buy a black hull boat on less they are giving it away. I also am very concerned about resale values and Black hull boats don’t bring many buyers.

Midnight_Run
Guest Contributor
I have an 06 SeaRay 48 with a blue haul and love it! To keep the water spots to a minimum I spray a 50/50 vinegar and water onto the haul and wash off once a month...this keeps it looking beautiful!

CPIGUY
Guest Contributor
I have 2017 460DA with a black hull. I have the boat washed every 2 weeks and rinse her down when I get back from a cruise. Obviously black will show the salt water more than a white hull, but the beauty is well worth it. I get more compliments on this boat than all the other white hulls boats I've owned combined.

d_mcham
Guest Contributor
I have an 06 280 Dancer with a black hull. It's slipped in a covered slip on Lake Mead, so fresh but very hard water. Water spots are always on it, dock water is hard also. But they are only noticeable up close. I've had the boat since 09 and it's been on a trailer until this year. No issues with it getting hot inside, but I also have a gen set and a/c. The black hull does show oxidation easy, but that cleans up easy. It also shows scratches/marks pretty well, but again you don't really notice any of that unless you get up close. Black wasn't what I wanted but it was a deal I couldn't pass up. Dealer showroom model they had for 3 years. I've been happy with it and haven't had any problems with it relating to the hull.

RML_L
Guest Contributor
We have a 2010 Sea Ray Sport 175. Pearl gunwales and bottom, black sides. Looks sharp on the water, and no fading, yet . . .

Tgarris
Guest Contributor
Water spots due to hard water = more maintenance. Darker colors for sure look better.

nanners
Guest Contributor
We have the dark navy blue. We love the richness of the color when it is clean. To maintain it's gloss, we had our marina detail it by using Buff Magic (Phenomenal stuff) and then wax it. Unbelievable difference. Brought out the clarity of the fiberglass, zero swirl marks, and minimizes water spots. Since we trailer the boat, every time we take it out of the water, we spray it down with "303 Speed Detailer". It cleans water spray and dust off and adds a light wax refresh. Looks like new every time. Have not had to reapply the buff magic or wax in 2 seasons. We are now in our 3rd season and will have the detail redone next spring. Down side of dark colors. Show any scratches you get. Once that dark fiberglass gets a scuff or deeper scratch, it shows a much lighter color 😞

lady_Patricia
Guest Contributor
Having read all the comments of owners of dark hulled boats and as an experienced owner of 16 previous boat, I can only conclude that for ease of maintenance, white is the only way to go. PS I would not buy a black car either, they always look dirty.

Footloose
Guest Contributor
Have a 60' Black Sundancer that is 10 years old but still get the most compliments on the the style and color than the newer models including the L-series. It needs gentle upkeep during the season but no more than my previous white hulls and professional buffing every season ending haul-out. Side by side the dark hull wins out.

Jayhawk
Guest Contributor
Thanks to all the owners of the dark hulled boats. While most said the dark hull was a bit more maintenance everyone seemed to appreciate the beauty of the darker hull. It was not clear to me that the naysayers had actually owned a dark hulled boat. I appreciate everyone's input.

Jayhawk
Guest Contributor
@Thomas Petersen would you be willing to share the cost per foot for the awl grip paint job?

Valkyrieyachts
Guest Contributor
Hi there

I honestly don’t remember the price per foot as it did not matter. I needed it painted and I knew I wanted the Awlgrip. I would imagine it was somewhere about 25% to 50% more, but the paint does not require waxing and is tough which is why so many superyachts use it.

Skoal!

Captain Tom Petersen

[logo1]
Valkyrie Yachts
Channel Islands Harbor, California
661 373-7590 * [email protected] * www.valkyrieyachts.com<>

David_T
Guest Contributor
I just bought a black hull 2009 40 that had been sitting for 2 years. Once it was wheeled out... all I can say is WOW! Looks like new.