cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My wife and I own a 2017 250 SLX...

2017_250_SLX
Guest Contributor

My wife and I own a 2017 250 SLX with a swim platform. The problem we have is there is no grab handle mounted on the stern which makes it difficult to get out of the water or platform onto the deck with a shoulder problem. Would anyone have a suggestion as to where to mount a handle, without causing a trip hazard, and a Sea Ray part number to purchase. We previously owned a 2015 250 SLX without a platform, which was much easier to get out of the water with a longer ladder and grab handle.

Thanks,

Jay

29 REPLIES 29

firstse
Guest Contributor
My wife and I are both older and have similar problem when getting into our SDX 250ob. I have double knotted a 3/8 inch line, placing hand holds every 10-12 inches. I simply tie it to a cleat and hang the remainder, for grabbing assistance, next to the swim ladder. Works well for us. Good Luck, George

Double_trouble1
Guest Contributor
You can order a set of P handles from swim platforms.com in Arizona . The handles lock in and remove when not in use, they work great

firstse
Guest Contributor
Sea Ray will not allow us to drill into the swim deck. It will VOID our warranty. George

gypsmjiminc
Guest Contributor
OOPs - I customize everything. Our new SeaRay has a gazillion holes in where I added custom accessories.

firstse
Guest Contributor
Gypsum. More specifically, our SeaRay 250ob, has a swim platform that is integral to the boat. Our Mercury 250 engine is mounted to it. SeaRay told me that the entire base is a slab of wood that is gel coated. A hole in the swim deck would allow water to get into the wood and rot it out. Hence, a voided warranty. George

2017_250_SLX
Guest Contributor
Great suggestion, this is an alternative to drilling for a grab handle..

gypsmjiminc
Guest Contributor
Sumting wong here. First of all, I wonder if "SeaRay" was the factory or an uninformed dealer. Secondly, and most important, if the boat was built in the last 10 years or so, the base of the motor mount (the platform) is most definitely NOT wood. The motor mount is an extension of the stringers and it is made of high strength starboard (a "plastic" composite).

Our is not a 250, but rather a 190 OB. The aft end of the boat is almost identical. I added 3 new grab handles by drilling right thru and sealing the SS handles with 5200 sealant. One of the handles is actually right in the motor well itself. For a couple of 70 year olds, it made entry an exit a breeze.

Regardless, even though my mod cannot possibly leak, even if it did, what's the difference? The internal part of the swim platform leads directly into the bilge, where it is taken care of by the bilge pump. So, if you swim and drip water all over the deck, the water will get there anyway, whether you drill holes or not.

gypsmjiminc
Guest Contributor
Here is a simple addition to the top of the ladder.

gypsmjiminc
Guest Contributor
And another to the side of the motor well, just a few inches away from the ladder. Getting in and out of our SeaRay is easy peasy...

camillotom
Guest Contributor
Take a look of this Italian product. i've seen at Genova boat expo works GREATLY https://www.osculati.com/it/11627-49.575.04/scaletta-telescopica-easyup-sopra-plancetta-con-maniglie

gypsmjiminc
Guest Contributor
The Italian product looks innovative. Unfortunately, the SR transom is custom built to fit the existing ladder. This one probably wouldn't fit. Would need to know exact dimensions.

camillotom
Guest Contributor
if you visit hte entire page you have quoted drawings, so that you can find an answer easily.

gypsmjiminc
Guest Contributor
I measured it. It wouldn't even come close to fitting in the space of my OEM SeaRay ladder. Additionally, I'm confident that the bolt hole pattern would not match. If the OEM is thru-bolted, you got a problem getting it off. Even if you jury rigged the new one, it would have to be merely screwed on, not bolted, since there is no inside access.

camillotom
Guest Contributor
visit some other ladder fro the same distributor "OSCULATI" may you find the one that fits, or you have to create a plate that fits the original sea ray holes and than the new ladder.

Cap_n
Guest Contributor
I have one on my 250 SLX. It’s in storage currently. I’ll ask fir a photo and forward when I receive.

CAP137
Guest Contributor
I am also very interested in this modification. I just bought a use 2019 250 SLX

2017_250_SLX
Guest Contributor
Does your 250 have the swim platform? I took my boat to the shop on Saturday and will be mounting a handle this week. I will send some pictures when the job is complete.

Thanks,

Jay

CAP137
Guest Contributor
Yes and a grab bar embedded in the swim deck just above the ladder. What I am looking for is something more akin to a dock swim ladder handles that I can grab with both hands to help climb up the ladder.

2017_250_SLX
Guest Contributor
It sounds like we have the same setup. We have the grab bars embedded in the swim platform also. They are not much help getting off of the swim platform. I will send some pictures when we determine .

Cap_n
Guest Contributor
Here is our set up....

CAP137
Guest Contributor
That’s terrific! I have the lower one I just need to get an upper installed. Thanks for sending!

Cap_n
Guest Contributor
Happy to help. On another note, since there seems to be older 250 SLXs here, I'm looking for a center bow cushion and not any to be found. My boat is a 2007 so I believe there would be some differences to the bow seating shapes with the newer boats. Searay is no help. Appreciate any suggestions otherwise I might just make a template and go with that. Thanks.

2017_250_SLX
Guest Contributor
Cap'N thanks for your pic, this appears to be a pre 2016 SLX. Since our boat is a 2017 , newer design, the ladder is mounted on the starboard side. Also you enter the helm where the grab handle is mounted, so this arrangement will not work .

CAP137
Guest Contributor
Just bought my 2019 250 SLX and boat and like the 2017 comment above, pictures show the boarding ladder on the starboard side so we'll have to come up with a different idea. Likely will have to use a pull rope on the starboard aft cleat until we can sort out an enhanced boarding ladder confirugation.

gypsmjiminc
Guest Contributor
Personally, I think a rope ladder would only be convenient for use by kids. I sense a lot of seniors here. Adding a grab handle is an easy task, but the method may differ with the boat. I showed pictures of my solution. It works for us and we're old and fat....LOL. For others with the need, how about showing a picture of your transom / ladder and maybe we can offer suggestions. I don't think a ladder replacement is really necessary.

CAP137
Guest Contributor
Oh no, not a rope ladder! I couldn't do that. Am thinking of a rope to grab and pull forward and up once mostly out of the water when the grab handle is below you and you need to pull the rest of the way.

gypsmjiminc
Guest Contributor
That wasn't what I meant. I should have said "rope pull" or something like that. Regardless, a SS "handle" is what is needed.

Cap_n
Guest Contributor
This is just a thought but what about a pop-up cleat? Up when your swimming and flush when not. Easy to grab as well.

gypsmjiminc
Guest Contributor
LOL....show me a popupcleat that a normal adult hand can safely and securely hold onto when getting out as a boat.