cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some help! Just purchased...

jrvanvon
Guest Contributor

Need some help! Just purchased two new tachs for my 2002 320DA from FP Marine. They said they were exact replacements but they are not. The wiring connections are completely different. Original tachs have a 6-pin harness (only use 4 wires/pins). Can anyone tell me what the different color wires are? I have a black, blue, purple, and gray/red). My new tachs have terminal posts in the back versus a plug. The terminal posts are labeled IGN (ignition), GND (ground), SEND, LT (lamp). Does anyone have a clue as to what wire goes where?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

wingless
Rising Contributor
The best option is to use the wiring diagram for your boat to trace out the wires to see what goes where.

This is a guess based on the colors.

Black - GND
Blue - LT - Lamp (Not Marked Adjacent to Bulb)
Purple - IGN - 14V DC Ignition
Gray / Red - SEND - 4 Cycle Gas - Neg Side of Coil

My suggestion is to use properly-sized and properly crimped ring tongue terminals, after the existing / original connector is snipped-off. Those ring tongue terminals should be retained w/ stainless washers, split ring lock washers and nuts.

jrvanvon
Guest Contributor
Thank you very much. I totally enjoy this group! Great advice and quick! I will connect as you indicated as this was also confirmed by FP Marine. Again, thanks!!!

BartM
Guest Contributor
Replaced a fuel gauge recently. The colour code is as wingless listed it. Blk - GND, Blue - Bulb, Purple - IGN, Gray/Red - Sender. Cant go wrong.

jrvanvon
Guest Contributor
Thank you WINGLESS. I replaced the tachs today. They work perfectly! Appreciate the help.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Great news!

Glad to help.

mandevic
Guest Contributor
How much did you pay for the tachs. On my 2003 320 DA, once in a while, I have one becoming "crazy". My mech told me to turn the crew on the back in both directions and put it back to 8C (8 cylinders). It work but I am pretty sure that a day it will not work anymore. I will have to replace it.

jrvanvon
Guest Contributor
Mandevic...I purchased them from fpmarine.com. They were $170 each. They work great and look completely original.