cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the Feed. Just purchased...

Riley
Guest Contributor

New to the Feed. Just purchased a 2008 240 DA.  While idling yesterday we had a system fault alarm. PsI, thinking it is oil but it also said water pressure.  Gauges said 50s for oil pressure and 158-9 for engine temp. Oil just changed and full. Thinking stuck / clogged sensor.  Anyone have experience with this???  Anyone know if it is safe to remove sensor with full oil or should it be drained.  Location?? Thanks.....

7 REPLIES 7

RML_L
Guest Contributor
Check the gauge for voltage, then follow it back to the alarm, and finally to the sensor. It will help you understand which of these three places your problem is located. I would suspect a connection or the sensor. Part should be available online. Sea Ray has a parts list available for your make/model/year. Google for it.

Riley
Guest Contributor
Thanks, will def check it out. Mercruiser tech recommended changing the impeller since we have no record of maintenence or last change. Old marina where boat was unable to provide he due to change in computer system. Which is crap. Tech says sensor is working if getting alarm. Not worth chancing it

RML_L
Guest Contributor
For what it is worth, the Mercury SmartCraft Engine Guardian System is, how should I say it, finicky or even persnickety. My water pressure senor goes off if I am in reverse at the lowest speed and sometimes in forward gear at the lowest of speeds. But, the impeller is fine and good water flows through at all other RPMs and situations. I just live with it. Additionally, my sterndrive oil reservoir sensor went off with a full bottle, just because the wire lead coming from the sensor got jarred loose. Jiggled it back in place and everything was fine. Sometimes you end up chasing a sensor sound with extreme solutions when merely checking the connection will do. Remember, boats suffer a lot of vibration and surf pound. Things get loose. For what it is worth.

Riley
Guest Contributor
Sounds good. Thanks for the info. Just concerned due to lack of history. I will definitely look at the wires. Thanks for the tips.

SasSea
Guest Contributor
I had to change the "poppet valve" before the low water alarms stopped going off. Cheap part, easy fix. Good luck!

alan2
Guest Contributor
I sounds like low pressue fron the raw water pump that provides engine cooling water.

Riley
Guest Contributor
Update, we replaced the sensor and seems to have solved the problem. Water pressure reading about 9.0psi while running 15-20 mph. This boat had a problem with this sensor in the past. Thanks for comments.😁