cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulled my 1993 290 Sundancer out...

RAYMOND1
Guest Contributor

Pulled my 1993 290 Sundancer out of the water to make some repairs.

Noticed that water is dripping out of my bottom drain brass housing (btwn housing and fiberglass) and not at the treaded plug.

As I was loosening the brass plug the housing moved slightly;

The three SS screws are slightly loose. I started backing off on one and it started easily but then it started to get harder backing off. I stopped thinking that there is actually a SS nut on the inside of the transom.

I need some suggestions on how it was probably originally fitted and replacement methods

4 REPLIES 4

wingless
Rising Contributor
The garboard drain plug on my 2000 380DA is mounted w/ two screws and one through bolt. The through bolt is used to electrically bond the bronze part to the bonding system, w/ a green wire on the bolt threads internal to the hull.

One the fitting is removed, confirm that the dripping water is from the bilge and not from water intrusion into the hull.

It may make sense to fill those three holes w/ filled epoxy, like West System, allow it to harden, then drill for replacement of the fasteners.

One option would be to first drill it slightly larger so that the fasteners grab onto hardened epoxy, not onto the fiberglass and core. The benefit is if the sealant ever fails, then the core is protected from water intrusion, because it is under epoxy. I did this to all my underwater hardware.

lolema1
Guest Contributor
Mine dripped so I took out the,three screws and cleaned it up and scrapped off the fiberglass. Then added 3m 4200 to back if the brass through hold and reattached with existing screws and now it doesn't leak at all. Bulge stays completely dry. If done again I would put more 4200 in the hole along the sides before reinstalling the through hold brass fitting

RAYMOND1
Guest Contributor
thanks lolma1 for the info. I did some checking on the 3M site and have decided to use the 3M 5200 fast cure. It is stronger and is a permanent one-component, high-strength, moisture-curing, gap-filling adhesive

lolema1
Guest Contributor
5200 is permanent they say but you should never need to change it. . I was amazed that the stuff I cleaned off was like clear silicone. your boat probably takes a lot of water as it has pressure coming in vs going out. there is a good youtube video on the drip.