cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We have a 2010 390 Sundancer. ...

cbruck
Guest Contributor

We have a 2010 390 Sundancer.  The E120 use to, but no longer receives info from the vessel view such as depth and temp etc.  I'm looking for a wiring block diagram that shows how the NMEA connects between the electronics.  The one in my manual only shows the vessel view but not the connections to the E120 via the NMEA.  I know there is at least a NMEA 0183 multiplexer between the two.  I've checked the wiring that I can and they seem solid.  Any help would be appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14

wingless
Rising Contributor
The best first step is to create a system diagram for the electronics. That would show all the networked electronics, with all the interfaces, the NEMA 0183, the SeaTalk, the SeaTalk2, the SeaTalk hs and the NEMA 2000.

If there is a multiplexer, then that means there are several talking devices sharing the interface w/ the listeners.

This is the interconnect diagram I created when I installed my E120 over a dozen years ago.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m52/wingless-pics/Boat/380DANewElectronicsWiringDiagram800.jpg

The wiring diagram was invaluable when planning the installation and also when later changes were installed.

When I did the wiring I labeled both ends of every cable to aid in maintaining the system. Here is an example on my stereo system.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m52/wingless-pics/Boat/Stereo/SonyXA-300SourceSelectorMountedandWired.jpg

cbruck
Guest Contributor
Excellent job on the schematics. Somewhere SR must have a schematic like this for my boat. The simple one in the manual that I have doesn't show the E120 and associated electronics at all. It just has the vesselview schematic. So far I am trouble shooting the output of the vesselview through the NMEA multiplexer then into the E120. The issue is that the problem could be in any of those 3 units or the wiring. Thanks for the help.

wingless
Rising Contributor
The factory wiring for my electronics was horrible, I yanked it all out when it was two years old and sold everything. It would be a total shock if Sea Ray had wiring diagrams they could provide for the electronics.

The Raymarine site has EXCELLENT documentation on their products.

A pad and paper to make your own wiring diagrams is better than nothing.

My boat now has MANY pages of supplemental documentation that I created, for my modifications and for the lacking factory documentation.

IMO, complete and accurate wiring diagrams falls into the essential category.

cbruck
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the comments and I agree, so what does a mechanic at Marinemax use to trouble shoot? If they don't have better documentation than I have and my nearest dealer is 100 miles away, I'm better off trying to fix it myself. Raymarine does have excellent documentation, they just stop at the NMEA bus. I would have local Raymarine and Mercruiser (vesselview) mechanics look at it but they probably would point fingers at each others box. Sorry, just venting. Thanks again for the help and comments, looks like another winter time job to create a good set of diagrams.

cbruck
Guest Contributor
I did resolve this issue so just to let anyone else know. Somehow (don't know if it was me or one of my helpful friends) there is a setting under the system settings on the Raymarine where you can change what protocol the input receives. Somehow mine got changed from NMEA to AIS. Once I changed it back, I got my depth back on the Raymarine. Not quite sure why the technician didn't bring that up when I contacted them on my problem at
Raymarine?

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Sea Ray provides extensive schematics for all interfaces and build documents. Attached is the E120, dual station installation with interfaces. You should consider contacting SR CSR at 865 540-2057. I have over 800 sets of schematics for my 47DB. Just have to ask Sea Ray. As far as ripping out the OEM installation - that's a really dumb idea unless the boat is ancient and/or have had too many "experts" on board to fix or install stuff.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Thanks for the suggestions.

My 2000 380DA was 1-1/2 years old when I purchased it from the original owner.

The only hands that could have / would have touched the very poorly implemented original electronics installation was either the factory or the local Marine Max dealer. It was amateur at-best. It was night and day quality compared to the rest of the factory wiring.

When I bought the boat I contacted Sea Ray and requested the full documentation package. I was mailed 1" thick of prints for my boat, including every bit of factory wiring.

The package sent from Sea Ray for my 2000 380DA did not include anything on any of the helm electronics, including the originally-installed Raytheon RL80 plotter radar. They did not include the Dual E120 for the 2010 500DB that was just posted.

Please post the factory electronics diagram for my 2000 380DA.

My installation exceeds the quality and standards of any factory or aftermarket installation, including the professional schematics for all the equipment I've installed, so I'm struggling to find the dumb here...

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m52/wingless-pics/Boat/380DANewElectronicsWiringDiagram800.jpg

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Sir..My comments were meant to answer cbruck's questions. Obviously your electronics install was done via a local dealer/installer and not at the SR factory. As an ISO certified facility Sea Ray does an outstanding job of industry standard manufacturing and CE certified installations. Most owners do not have the capabilities to "rip out" factory installed infrastructures nor the financial resources needed. You obviously are in the business so that's great. Like I advised cbruck's- owners can contact Sea Ray CSR to obtain PDFs of schematics and mechanical builds on most recent models that fall under ISO and CE certifications. However, Owners need to be specific on what they are asking SR to provide.

Fast_Eddie1
Guest Contributor
How do I get a copy of those schematics for my 2003 340 SDA? Thx

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Contact SR CSR at the number I posted above. You need to be specific on what you ask them for.

Fast_Eddie1
Guest Contributor
Sorry, Captain Rick, I do not see that number for SR CSR

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
CSR 865 540-2057

Fast_Eddie1
Guest Contributor
Thank you

cbruck
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the number Capt Rick. For anyone reading this post, I did solve the problem. There is a software setting in the E120 that lets you set what interface it is connected to. You have a choice of 4 different interfaces and of course (somehow-more than likely someone playing with my E120) mine was set to another interface and not NMEA. Now my E120 reads depth etc like it used to. When I contacted Raymarine, they did help me determine that the E120 was not receiving the NMEA data but they never told me there was a setting that has to be set to NMEA in order to receive NMEA data. It would have saved me countless hours.