cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WINDLESS HELP NEEDED: I have a...

Den
Guest Contributor

WINDLESS HELP NEEDED: I have a Lofrans Marlin Windlass on my boat that takes Grade 43 High Test ISO Spec 1/4" chain. I have 18 feet of this chain affixed to my anchor line (1/2" - 3 strand). I would like to add about 20 feet of additional chain attaching it to my existing chain and anchor. Can this be done without adversely effect the operation of my windless? And if so,  what type of connector should I use to join the two chains? Any experience on this would be great ..thanks much. Dennis (Buffalo NY)

12 REPLIES 12

fwebster
Guest Contributor
This is difficult to do successfully because most people try to use commercially availavle splicing links. Anything you add that increases or decreases the pitch of the chain, i.e. the distance between the links, will cause the windlass to skip or jam.

The safest method would be to contact Sea Ray customer service and tell them what you are trying to accomplish then ask for a contact number for the customer service departmentof the vender they bought your chain from. It may be Lofrans if the windlass/chain/rode was purchased as part of a kit, or it could be another company.

This is an easy look-up for Sea Ray because the equipment list is filed by HIN# and the vendor contact info is in the same system.

Another thought is to consider how old your windlass rode is and does it need replacing. If it is 5+ years old and if you anchor a lot, then it might be easier to just order a new line and chain combo from your SR dealer or direct from Lofrans. Splicing a new lin on an existing chain is tricky because the splice must be the same size (or smaller) than the line iteslf.

Tom123
Guest Contributor
I disagree and have used a connecting link on 5/16" chain through a windlass without a problem... It lasted for three years of full-time cruising and never slipped.

Here is a link to the connecting link I used:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seafit--connecting-links--P005_154_002_004

Tom123
Guest Contributor
I should have added that if you want to spend the money, there are welding shops that will weld a link into the chain too...

Time_Well_Waste
Guest Contributor
The quick and easy way is to just buy a new length of chain the length you want.

Brite_Idea
Guest Contributor
I doubled the length of chain using a link splice from Worst Marine and it worked great. I'll add that I anchor in muddy or eel grass bottom never deeper than 20 feet. I usually end up with one or two boats tied up along side so after loosing bottom more than once I decided to add more chain and the results have been good.

Den
Guest Contributor
Thank you all for your input on my chain issue. To those that have made the purchased link connector work, was your windlass a Lofrans marlin using the ISO 1/4" chain?

Brite_Idea
Guest Contributor
Worst Marine sells them they have 1/4 & 5/16 I bought both and used the one that matched mine. I'm pretty sure it was the 1/4 but I did it at the beginning of the season so my memory is vague on the size. I will say it worked as I hoped more chain is definitely better.

Den
Guest Contributor
Thanks ..........Brite Idea! Having trouble finding "Worst Marine" .......do you have a web address?

Den
Guest Contributor
I'm so dense!.....Just as I finished my comment it occurred to me that you meant WEST Marine!

Tom123
Guest Contributor
Den there is a link in post above with the connecting link at West Marine.

Den
Guest Contributor
Thanks Tom. The specs on the link say "not compatible with windlass". Mine is a Lofrans with a 1/4 " Grade 43 ISO link. Any experience using the link with a Kofrans?

Brite_Idea
Guest Contributor
I have a Lofrans Marlin and had no problems with the splicing link I bought.