cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 230 SPXThe bow block off door...

jcjc109
Guest Contributor

2020 230 SPX

The bow block off door is unavailable to close. The gap between the helm and head has closed up and has developed cracks in glue between the deck and  hull ski locker.

Any one have similar problems

8 REPLIES 8

jcjc109
Guest Contributor

wingless
Rising Contributor
It looks like the factory used that (now failed) adhesive bead to maintain the location / position of those two parts, permitting movement causing the problem.

Assuming this falls under the Sea Ray hull warranty, contact the dealership and request repair.

One solution that jumps out to me is to remove all that adhesive, then replace it w/ properly installed layered fiberglass, while manually blocking the parts to push them into position while the fiberglass hardens. My preference would be for this type of permanent solution, instead of that original short term solution.

jcjc109
Guest Contributor
waiting on dealer to fix
I think it needs to go back to the factory its only 2 years old .

wingless
Rising Contributor
Disagree that it must return to the factory.

Anyone w/ appropriate skills should be capable of performing an appropriate long term repair.

The dealership will be able to effect that repair properly.

Paulswagelock
Guest Contributor
Pictures would help. But, it sounds like the hull is flexing causing the issue, and that is. It a dealer fix.

Paulswagelock
Guest Contributor
Typo above, can’t believe there is no edit button. Meant to type “that is not a dealer fix”.

wingless
Rising Contributor
WRT to hull flexing, if a northern climate boat stored on the hard for winter, or even on a trailer, it is important that the boat be properly blocked, such as per ABYC TY-28.

Assuming land storage, a 23' hull should have two keel blocks, one near the garboard drain plug, one near the front, where the hull starts to curve up.

There must also be four stands, two each side to maintain the boat in an upright condition.

Even w/ all that done correctly it is possible for the hull to change slightly during land storage versus floating. Any minor dry versus wet changes are normal, but should / will be minimized by proper blocking.

My prior impression was that the glue failed permitting movement of a panel. Was that understanding incorrect?

jcjc109
Guest Contributor
The boat is 2 years old used on a lake. Serviced and stored for the winter by the dealer.