cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know if there is an...

MDM1
Guest Contributor

Does anyone know if there is an OBD port on my 2010 260 Sundeck (350 MAG)? I started getting an O2 sensor alarm two weekends ago. Also is there a way to reset the alarm on the Smartcraft guage?

thanks

8 REPLIES 8

AncientGeek
Guest Contributor
I received that alarm on my 2011 200 SunDeck this spring. He is what I learned:

1. The diagnostic port is not the same as an automotive OBD port. Boat diagnostic software/hardware coasts many hundreds of dollars and a car ODB diagnostic is of zero value.

2. The error beep will just keep coming. No reset possible that I found.

3. Don’t let them replace your sensors until other causes have been ruled out. The code is misleading. It is telling you the O2 levels are out of spec, NOT that the O2 Sensor is faulty.

In my case, the dealer replaced all four O2 sensors and it still threw the code. Then they did an overdue tune-up, but it still threw the code. Finally the engine displayed a very high fuel pressure when the dealer checked that. They replaced the fuel pump and the code no longer appeared...and half of the summer was gone!

So get a tune up and check everything related to fuel burn and O2 levels. Don’t start replacing sensors at $100 each plus labor until CAUSES have been ruled out.

MDM1
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the advice

AncientGeek
Guest Contributor
You are very welcome! Good luck.

Captain_Zero
Guest Contributor
On all newer boats there is an obd2 connection. This is only base emmission information. To property diagnose actual causes a scan tool that accesses all data is needed. As to the comment from the mechanic who said each boat manufacturer is different....well choose another mech. I have one scanner platform that can be used on all boats.

MDM1
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the information!

AncientGeek
Guest Contributor
Hyratherapy: Which boat scan tool did you buy and about how much was it? I saw two major platforms and I was thinking the lower priced platform of the two was around $500.

I didn’t hear that all boats were different, I just found that boat and car tools were different from each other.

vortmaximum
Guest Contributor
The boat has four O2 sensors. Had the same happen my boat on same boat. I bought one new O2 sensor and replaced the starboard post CAT O2 sensor as I assumed that was the one through asking around on internet. Kept getting STBD 19 alarm beeping. I then pulled the pre CAT O2 starboard sensor. It was quite worn. I cleaned up the old starboard CAT 2 (it was dirty, but in decent shape) and put it in starboard pre CAT. I ran Cataclean through the engine via gas treatment as well. After a 2 or 3 engine start up cycles the alarm went off. Been good ever since (3 years) There is a diagnostic port behind the cockpit, mine has 4 junctions right in the middle of the area when you open the panel. I can connect a rinda techmate tool at that spot. There is also a harness on the bow side of the engine to connect to. Rinda tool is pricey, had to buy a harness for my engine as well. I thought it was worth it, because anytime something alarms on these newer boats and you want to go to the marina, it is abut $100 to hook up and get a reading.....

vortmaximum
Guest Contributor
To clarify, that alarm resets itself, no way to reset that annoying beep on smartcraft.