cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 1998 230 overnighter with...

Ferrari
Guest Contributor

I have a 1998 230 overnighter with the bravo 1 and the 5.7 engine.  3 blade 28 degree pitch mirage prop (recommended for this boat) but when I get 5 to 6 adults on board i can't get out of the hole and up on plane. Very frustrating!!!   Any suggestions?

19 REPLIES 19

Ollie
Guest Contributor
Do you have trim tabs?

Ollie
Guest Contributor
If not, I would highly recommend them. I have them on my 05 215 Weekender, and it help tremendously getting on plane.

Ferrari
Guest Contributor
No Trim tabs but what about putting one of those big fins on the lower unit?

Ferrari
Guest Contributor
Do you think that would help?

Ollie
Guest Contributor
That I do not know. It is my understanding that the fins help with purposing vs. getting on plane. With tabs, by putting them down, it lifts the aft up brining the bow down allowing you to plane with less power and getting you out of the hole quicker. - Plus, you can level out if one side of the boat is heavier than the other, without having to shift people or items

Ollie
Guest Contributor
I'm actually surprised your size of Sea Ray doesn't have tabs

Ferrari
Guest Contributor
I know and trim tabs are not cheap.

Theo
Guest Contributor
Get it checked out at the dealership. There is no reason your boat shouldn't plane with 6 people in it. I had the same problem and took it in to an independent repair shop. They kept telling me that it was the carburetor, but it turned out that eventually the entire balancer came off the engine (Inboard-outboard OMC) and gas poured into the bilge. Very dangerous situation. Get it checked!

Ferrari
Guest Contributor
Thanks, I had it in the shop last year and I had a full tune up and they went through everything.. I just can't figure it out. Sounds like i will have to look into trim tabs.

Ollie
Guest Contributor
I can tell you this, once installed, they will probably be your favorite add-on that you've done with your boat. No more listing and plowing.

Theo
Guest Contributor
Ferrari, I have a 24ft. Sea Ray with a 5.7 liter engine and bravo 1 (this is not the boat which blew the balancer) and I can easily put 10 people in my boat and get up to plane with no problem. Power to spare. I do have trim tabs, but don't need them at all to get up on plane. My propeller is 14.5 x 17

Theo
Guest Contributor
Ferrari, I have a 24ft. Sea Ray with a 5.7 liter engine and bravo 1 (this is not the boat which blew the balancer) and I can easily put 10 people in my boat and get up to plane with no problem. Power to spare. I do have trim tabs, but don't need them at all to get up on plane. My propeller is 14.5 x 17. I doubt that your problem is a lack of trim tabs.

Ferrari
Guest Contributor
Perhaps I need to find a prop to try out and see if that makes a difference. My Parents have a 26 sundancer with a 5.3 and trim tabs and they don't have any problems. But with the power plant I have, I should be jumping out of the water. Thanks

Ollie
Guest Contributor
That may help Ferrari, but you want to be careful and not over rpm your engine. In my opinion, I would stick with the pitch your 230 recommends.

Ferrari
Guest Contributor
I am aware of that possibility... But thanks for the reminder and your opinion... I value it greatly.

Still_Here
Guest Contributor
Hi, I'd switch to a four blade and go down to a 24 degree pitch.

Ferrari
Guest Contributor
Thanks, I'll see if I can find one to test out before purchasing.

Charley
Guest Contributor
Ferrari. I have the open bow version of your boat (230 BR) powered by a 5.7 EFI/Alpha 1. The out drive gear ratio is 1:47:1. I have owned it since new. The original equipment propeller for my boat is a 17" Vengeance (stainless). Lightly loaded my 5.7 EFI will turn 4,800 RPM (top of the wot range) and run about 48 mph. I have never had an issue getting on plane ecven when heavily loaded. Bravo Ones are typically geared with a drive ratio of 1:5:1. You can find the ratio on the outdrive decal. If this is the case, a propeller in the 17" - 19" pitch range would be the correct propeller. Also, Sea Ray generally paired the 5.7 with an Alpha 1 or Bravo 3. The 7.4 came with a Bravo One or Bravo 3. One other suggestion would be to contact Sea Ray customer service and ask them what drive/propeller combo your boat was delivered with. You'll need your hull ID number.

Ferrari
Guest Contributor
Great info...thanks