cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My life was recently put at risk...

rpkneen
Guest Contributor

My life was recently put at risk by the Sea Ray Boat Company. My boat is a 2017 310 SLX, purchased new. It was the third time I have used the boat since purchasing it. It has approximately 30 hours on it. I was running the boat on a routine basis from my home dock to refuel it, about a 45 minute trip. Suddenly the boat began to handle sluggishly, lost RPM’s and controlling it from the helm became almost impossible. It soon began to founder. The auto bilge pump alarm sounded intermittently, then went constant. Looking to the stern I noticed that the swim platform was actually underwater. Upon opening the engine hatch I noticed sea water accumulating in the bilge at a dangerous level surrounding the lower parts of the motors. I immediately  donned my life jacket, contacted the Coast Guard on a mayday call, and fortunately a Boat US tow boat, with two auxiliary pumps to prevent the boat from sinking, was dispatched in short order for a salvage call. Upon being towed into the dealer (who was great and responded quickly and efficiently) the boat was hauled, drained and examined for the cause of the sinking. To my dismay I was told by the techs that the reason for the problem was due to a defective manufacturing process of joining the raked deck with the hull. It had separated at the rub rail at the stern, allowing the boat to take on water. Have any others experienced this same issue who own the same boat? If so, I wonder why has there not been a recall? Even if the boat is “fixed” I will always have doubt in the back of my mind as to its seaworthiness. I was fortunate that at the time of the incident, I was alone and not physically harmed.  But now and always I will have serious concerns about having the people that mean the most to me – my family and friends – on this boat. Exposure of the motors to salt water only increases my concern.  I trust that Sea Ray – a most respected name in the marine industry – will step up to the plate.

14 REPLIES 14

wingless
Rising Contributor
FWIW, an open forum is not the best option for problems like this severe failure.

My very strong expectation is that Sea Ray will do everything required to make this right.

The Boat US action was a salvage, not a simple tow, so there are "unexpected" maritime regulations / charges / liens that are applicable. Ensure that the Boat US action is covered during the case.

The boat, engines and wiring can all be restored to normal w/ appropriate action, or Sea Ray will provide appropriate restitution.

rpkneen
Guest Contributor
Thanks so much for your advice. I appreciate it. I'm awaiting Sea Ray's response. My sense is they will make it right.

somefun
Guest Contributor
It's good to hear others' experiences. It might help someone head off a similar situation in the future.

RML_L
Guest Contributor
Wow, quite a story. Happy it turned out okay! Did you get a new boat yet? I would imagine Sea Ray will step up to the plate. Actually I am quite surprised by the problem in the first place. My personal experience with my 201 SR 175 Sport, which I use weekly/daily has been phenomenal.

Paulswagelock
Guest Contributor
Please keep us updated on the outcome. Manufacturing defects or material failure is always a possibility but we seldom if ever hear of one this catastrophic.

Sroc
Guest Contributor
I would get it resolved or replaced fast as the company is for sale.

rpkneen
Guest Contributor
Thanks to all for your concern. I have a letter into the President of Sea Ray to determine how they will respond. My anticipation as that they will offer a new boat under the circumstances. The "Lemon Law" in Florida is pretty specific about such events. Again, thanks for your concern for my safety.

Paulswagelock
Guest Contributor
Any updates?

rpkneen
Guest Contributor
Paul - no official updates from Sea Ray although I had a pleasant conversation with their Customer Service Manager, Robert Upchurch, who seemed sincere in his desire to resolve this situation to my satisfaction. 

rpkneen
Guest Contributor
Paul - I noticed the Swagelock name in your profile. Are you from Cleveland as I am? Swagelock is such as respected corporate citizen.

Paulswagelock
Guest Contributor
I am from Pittsburgh but have an office in Solon. The swagelock in my email is a joke from 20 years ago, but no official connection other than using a tone of their product over the years.

rpkneen
Guest Contributor
Still no word from Sea Ray. I'm very disappointed and angry.

RML_L
Guest Contributor
I believe the "old" Sea Ray would have properly handled this without being compelled to do so. The "new" Sea Ray, a company that has formally and publicly announced that it is on no uncertain terms "for sale," obviously is not doing so. Therefore, they will need to be compelled. Use your state's lemon and consumer protection laws, evoke your warranty, write a convincing demand letter sent by certified mail, involve or intimate that you will involve the US Coast Guard, etc. Ignoring your problems on a 2-0-1-7 boat (NEW) is nothing short of ridiculous.

Tgarris
Guest Contributor
If you are a member of BoatUS they will advocate for you and actually have a process with the major Mfr’s. I am sorry to hear this has happened and worse the lack of response from SR.